Aug 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
The Timberwolves and Nikola Pekovic have been expected to come to a contract agreement for some time.
But the longer the sides continue to negotiate, there seems to at least be a possibility that the relationship could sour.
We broke down the many reasons for the delay a couple of weeks back, but it seems now that it’s come down to a simple matter of dollars.
[Team president Flip Saunders] was in New York City earlier in the week to meet with [Pekovic's agent Jeff Schwartz]. Word is it was cordial gathering. But one central issue remains, according to sources: money. The Wolves are offering Pekovic a four-year, $48 million extension. Schwartz wants more. In fact, at least initially, a lot more. One league source said his opening asking price was in the vicinity of $15 million/year.
The possibility of a five-year agreement exists (point guard Ricky Rubio would still be eligible for a five-year extension because Pekovic is not on the rookie scale). But the main focus has been on four-years. The Wolves are willing to add some incentive sweeteners — think games played with Pekovic’s injury history. But the idea that they’ll budge from the guaranteed portion — $12 million/year — is nearly ludicrous.
Here’s where it gets interesting: Pekovic’s agent not only represents Kevin Love, who can opt out of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent in 2015. But he also represents Brandon Jennings, who was in a standoff similar to that of Pekovic with the Milwaukee Bucks.
Pekovic is a restricted free agent the same as Jennings was, and when the dollars being offered by the Bucks weren’t what Jennings was expecting, the team chose to trade him rather than caving to his demands, or letting him play out one more season under the qualifying offer before bolting next summer.
There’s no sign that a similar situation is brewing in Minnesota with Pekovic — at least not yet. Considering his history of injury, one would think that this deal would get done at some point in order for him to lock up a multi-year, guaranteed deal before the season begins.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 14
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)