Aug 4, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony played through the NBA playoffs last year with a shoulder injury, a partially torn labrum. That is an injury that can be slow to heal (just ask Dwight Howard) and sometimes requires surgery.
Anthony said six weeks ago he did not want surgery.
Speaking with the New York Daily News he reiterated he does not plan to have surgery this summer.
“I took one MRI a couple months ago and it was healing back in place,” he said. “So that was the decision — should I get surgery or should I not? I’m not really a big fan of surgical procedures.
“At the end of the day it was my body, and if I felt as though I needed to go get surgery I was going to get surgery. But at that point I was hoping up until that first MRI that I didn’t need surgery and the Almighty man was with me.”
Anthony should be good to go for training camp, but the concern is always re-injury.
Hopefully that’s not an issue. The Knicks enter next season with a good team (one that finished with 54 wins and the two seed in the East) but one that still needs a lot of things to go right for them to get anywhere near their goals — J.R. Smith needs another big season, additions Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace need to be better than they have been the past couple seasons, and the team defense needs to be much improved over the pedestrian level it was last season.
And they need to stay healthy, starting with Anthony.
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 8
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25