Aug 4, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony played through the NBA playoffs last year with a shoulder injury, a partially torn labrum. That is an injury that can be slow to heal (just ask Dwight Howard) and sometimes requires surgery.
Anthony said six weeks ago he did not want surgery.
Speaking with the New York Daily News he reiterated he does not plan to have surgery this summer.
“I took one MRI a couple months ago and it was healing back in place,” he said. “So that was the decision — should I get surgery or should I not? I’m not really a big fan of surgical procedures.
“At the end of the day it was my body, and if I felt as though I needed to go get surgery I was going to get surgery. But at that point I was hoping up until that first MRI that I didn’t need surgery and the Almighty man was with me.”
Anthony should be good to go for training camp, but the concern is always re-injury.
Hopefully that’s not an issue. The Knicks enter next season with a good team (one that finished with 54 wins and the two seed in the East) but one that still needs a lot of things to go right for them to get anywhere near their goals — J.R. Smith needs another big season, additions Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace need to be better than they have been the past couple seasons, and the team defense needs to be much improved over the pedestrian level it was last season.
And they need to stay healthy, starting with Anthony.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13