Carmelo Anthony reiterates he will not have shoulder surgery

Aug 4, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v New York Knicks - Game Five Getty Images

Carmelo Anthony played through the NBA playoffs last year with a shoulder injury, a partially torn labrum. That is an injury that can be slow to heal (just ask Dwight Howard) and sometimes requires surgery.

Anthony said six weeks ago he did not want surgery.

Speaking with the New York Daily News he reiterated he does not plan to have surgery this summer.

“I took one MRI a couple months ago and it was healing back in place,” he said. “So that was the decision — should I get surgery or should I not? I’m not really a big fan of surgical procedures.

“At the end of the day it was my body, and if I felt as though I needed to go get surgery I was going to get surgery. But at that point I was hoping up until that first MRI that I didn’t need surgery and the Almighty man was with me.”

Anthony should be good to go for training camp, but the concern is always re-injury.

Hopefully that’s not an issue. The Knicks enter next season with a good team (one that finished with 54 wins and the two seed in the East) but one that still needs a lot of things to go right for them to get anywhere near their goals — J.R. Smith needs another big season, additions Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace need to be better than they have been the past couple seasons, and the team defense needs to be much improved over the pedestrian level it was last season.

And they need to stay healthy, starting with Anthony.

1. onlyavoice - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Why Get Surgery On A Fake Injury.
    Just Like His Fake Knee Injury.
    Melo Only Acted Hurt When He Was Losing.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Raptor fans gone coo koo………

2. emosnar - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Dolan’s failure to listen to Donnie Walsh is what got rid of the decent core that would’ve been surrounding Melo. Melo was coming to NY regardless of the negotiations. The Knicks would’ve already won a title if they just followed the Donnie Walsh plan of securing Melo. Instead they gutted the whole team in a haste.

3. emosnar - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Time to see what Jordan and Pippen would have looked like if Jordan didn’t go and play baseball
    #Kobe-Meloshow2014

4. elcapitanfiscal - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Maybe if he has surgery, it will fix his terrible shooting percentage

5. drago2012 - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Carmelo is a great basketball player, but he is not a Winner!! He does not make other players around him better and this will be his ultimate demise. He will only be a foot note in basketball lore. Any team that he leaves usually gets better without him. NY will be a floor mat for the teams such as Chicago or Miami!!!

6. topdawg4ever - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

So apparently he does not want surgery. Wow is he articulate!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches