Aug 3, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Now that Greg Oden is in the fold with the Miami Heat, there are other big men around the league that will be affected by his decision.
But there also might be some on Oden’s new team that could find themselves playing elsewhere before the season begins.
Miami has more bigs than the team will play now, with Chris Andersen, Joe Anthony, and Jarvis Varnado all under contract in addition to Oden. And with the team being sensitive to its luxury tax bill, that could mean that the player they determine to be the least useful could be in line to be sent out of town.
With the addition of Oden, it is possible the Heat now look to move Anthony’s contract, which has two seasons remaining, as a means of reducing their luxury-tax bill, having recently released swingman Mike Miller under the amnesty provision due to such concerns. In addition, Varnado’s contract does not become partially guaranteed until opening night.
Because of the Heat’s position against the NBA’s luxury tax, Oden’s contract will cost the Heat roughly $2.6 million this coming season.
Anthony has become somewhat useless to the Heat as the team continues to to ignore traditional positional roles in favor of playing its most dynamic and devastating lineups. He averaged just 9.1 minutes per game this past season after playing a much more significant role the year before, and only got on the court for 15 total minutes in the seven games of the Finals, while receiving DNP-CDs in games 6 and 7.
Anthony is on the books for $3.8 million this season, and holds a player option for the same amount the following year. Miami would prefer to move him without taking back salary in return, but it remains unclear if other teams out there will be interested in taking on a player who’s shown a declining level of production at that price.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32