Aug 3, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Now that Greg Oden is in the fold with the Miami Heat, there are other big men around the league that will be affected by his decision.
But there also might be some on Oden’s new team that could find themselves playing elsewhere before the season begins.
Miami has more bigs than the team will play now, with Chris Andersen, Joe Anthony, and Jarvis Varnado all under contract in addition to Oden. And with the team being sensitive to its luxury tax bill, that could mean that the player they determine to be the least useful could be in line to be sent out of town.
With the addition of Oden, it is possible the Heat now look to move Anthony’s contract, which has two seasons remaining, as a means of reducing their luxury-tax bill, having recently released swingman Mike Miller under the amnesty provision due to such concerns. In addition, Varnado’s contract does not become partially guaranteed until opening night.
Because of the Heat’s position against the NBA’s luxury tax, Oden’s contract will cost the Heat roughly $2.6 million this coming season.
Anthony has become somewhat useless to the Heat as the team continues to to ignore traditional positional roles in favor of playing its most dynamic and devastating lineups. He averaged just 9.1 minutes per game this past season after playing a much more significant role the year before, and only got on the court for 15 total minutes in the seven games of the Finals, while receiving DNP-CDs in games 6 and 7.
Anthony is on the books for $3.8 million this season, and holds a player option for the same amount the following year. Miami would prefer to move him without taking back salary in return, but it remains unclear if other teams out there will be interested in taking on a player who’s shown a declining level of production at that price.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7