Aug 3, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
In advance of Carmelo Anthony‘s ability to opt out of his contract next summer and become an unrestricted free agent, he’s going to get asked a lot of different questions that are aimed at getting a response that will clue us in to what his future plans may be.
This continued on Saturday, when Anthony spoke to reporters while attending his camp for children at Queens College.
The topic of free agency was quickly shot down by Anthony, who responded that he was focused on today and would deal with it when the time comes.
But after playing 10 NBA seasons, the thought of a championship seems more at the forefront of Anthony’s thoughts, and if he’s serious about earning one before it’s all said and done, that could obviously affect his free agent decision.
“My window is closing,’’ Anthony told the campers. “I’m trying to bring a championship to New York ASAP.’’
Later on, Anthony specified he was not referring to his window closing as a Knick. He has an opt-out clause after this season but said he honestly hasn’t given it a minute’s thought on what he will do.
Anthony is nowhere near retirement, and if he is as committed to New York as he’s seemed to be since forcing his way there in a trade from the Nuggets in 2011, he could still re-up there with a new deal before going ring-chasing with another franchise in the final years of his career.
It’s worth noting, though, that while the Knicks finished the regular season with the second best record in the Eastern Conference, most aren’t picking them to be any higher than fourth next year behind an improved Pacers team, a Bulls squad that is expected to return Derrick Rose, and of course, the two-time defending champion Heat.
If a championship is what Anthony is after, then you could make the case that leaving New York could give him a more immediate shot to do that. But like all of these remarks, it’s silly to try to read too much into any one statement — considering that even Anthony himself has no idea what he’ll feel like doing at the end of next season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18