Aug 3, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire has made no secret of the fact that he’s extremely interested in exploring his spirituality, and with it the Jewish faith that he’s embraced due to the family ties he has to it on his mother’s side.
Stoudemire regularly posts biblical quotes to his social media accounts, and has been seen wearing a Yarmulke at basketball-related events on more than one occasion.
This summer, Stoudemire has spent considerable time in Israel to continue this journey, and it appears as though he’s looking to take things a step further.
The sore-kneed Stoudemire, who is touring Israel, has now applied for Israeli citizenship, his agent Happy Walters told nymag.com.
Stoudemire previously announced he had become a part owner in the Israeli basketball club Hapoel Jerusalem, partnering with basketball and baseball agent Arn Tellem. Israeli president Shimon Peres said he wants Stoudemire to play next year on the Israeli National Team, but it’s unlikely the Knicks would grant permission, since they already denied him a spot on Team USA in 2010.
This isn’t about basketball, as there’s no way the Knicks would allow Stoudemire to play in any capacity as long as they’re on the hook for his guaranteed contract which is uninsurable due to his history of injuries.
No, this is simply about Stoudemire feeling more connected to his faith. If gaining Israeli citizenship helps him do that, then it should only be viewed as a positive.
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 1
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 6
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 15
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 13
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63