Aug 2, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
People often forget — when Nene is healthy, he is a quality NBA center.
Last season Nene wasn’t healthy — the Brazilian big man had plantar fasciitis in his foot, issues with both knees and a sore shoulder — and he still averaged 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds a game shooting 48 percent, plus he played solid defense. When he played the Wizards were a much better team — when Nene was on the court the Wizards offense was 5.9 points per 100 possessions better than when he sat, and the defense was 4.4 points per 100 better.
The Wizards, with John Wall leading the way, have their eyes on the playoffs in the East, and a healthy Nene gets them much closer — and he looks healthy, coach Randy Wittman told J. Michael of CSNWashington.com.
“He’s doing great. He has an off-season home in Denver so he has been spending some time there,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman told CSN Washington. “Monday though Friday, it’s physical therapy. It was important for him to get his body back to health…
“It’s not so much with Nene that you’re looking to develop a lot of his game. Nene has been there,” Wittman said. “It’s important for him to do what he has to do so when he comes back here at the end of September that he’s ready to go. There are no restrictions. He’s doing great. He’s felt as good as he’s felt in a long time.”
I think the Wizards are a playoff team in the East next season, grabbing one of the bottom three seeds… if they can stay healthy. That certainly includes Wall, but Nene will be another key. They need him in the paint.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)