Aug 2, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Update: Marcus Camby and the Raptors agreed to waive set-off rights in his buyout, according to Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com, which means Camby will make more than I previously calculated including a set-off. The post is now update to reflect accurate figures.
Marcus Camby really didn’t want to be in Toronto.
He accepted $2 million less than he was owed just to become a free agent, according ShamSports.com. But that doesn’t tell the whole story, because Camby signed a one-year, minimum contract with the Rockets that will somewhat compensate for his loss.
In the next two seasons, Camby will make $4,809,170 – $2,763,054 from the Raptors (including $646,609 next season), $884,293 from the Rockets and $515,214 from the NBA (the latter for reasons explained here).
If he had just stayed with Toronto, he had $5,409,663 guaranteed, including $1,025,890 next season.
All in all, that’s a net loss of $600,493 in salary.
Of course, Camby could recoup even more of his salary if he signs a contract for the 2014-15 season. But he’s already 39 and played just 250 minutes last season, so I’m not factoring that possibility into the equation. If Camby proves himself worthy of a contract at age 40, good for him. Plus, the lack of state income tax in Texas should help, too.
Still, Camby chose freedom to picky his team over a significant amount of money, and I hope that decision makes him happy in the long term.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18