Aug 2, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
Update: Marcus Camby and the Raptors agreed to waive set-off rights in his buyout, according to Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com, which means Camby will make more than I previously calculated including a set-off. The post is now update to reflect accurate figures.
Marcus Camby really didn’t want to be in Toronto.
He accepted $2 million less than he was owed just to become a free agent, according ShamSports.com. But that doesn’t tell the whole story, because Camby signed a one-year, minimum contract with the Rockets that will somewhat compensate for his loss.
In the next two seasons, Camby will make $4,809,170 – $2,763,054 from the Raptors (including $646,609 next season), $884,293 from the Rockets and $515,214 from the NBA (the latter for reasons explained here).
If he had just stayed with Toronto, he had $5,409,663 guaranteed, including $1,025,890 next season.
All in all, that’s a net loss of $600,493 in salary.
Of course, Camby could recoup even more of his salary if he signs a contract for the 2014-15 season. But he’s already 39 and played just 250 minutes last season, so I’m not factoring that possibility into the equation. If Camby proves himself worthy of a contract at age 40, good for him. Plus, the lack of state income tax in Texas should help, too.
Still, Camby chose freedom to picky his team over a significant amount of money, and I hope that decision makes him happy in the long term.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15