Aug 2, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
It has been expected for a while — the Magic had been looking to see if they could trade Al Harrington before they just cut him loose, but there wasn’t much of a market.
So, Orlando waived him Friday, something that Harrington addressed on Instagram.
It’s Official… Orlando has waived me! I just want thanks all the Orlando Fans that embraced me in my short stay there. It was my pleasure playing in front of you guys. Also wanna thank Coaching staff and medical department for helping me get back on court to do what I love the most. And that’s to Hoop with the Best! Now that I’m almost 110% back healthy I’m so excited for my immediate future. Let the phone start ringing. I’m ready!!!!! ✌
He will clear waivers because Harrington was owed $14.7 million for two seasons and nobody is going to pick that tab up. Only about $7.4 million of that was guaranteed, so most likely the buyout was for that amount. Even so, that means he’ll be willing to play for the minimum for a contending team.
The question those teams are asking is if he is healthy — he had a knee surgery that led to a staph infection last season which kept him out of all but 10 games. Is he back to his old self at age 33? Since then he says he has dropped 27 pounds. Remember two seasons ago in Denver Harrington averaged 14.2 points a game, was dangerous from three and had a PER of 15.3, right at the league average. A lot of teams could use that.
The question is who calls? Would the Knicks have interest (they seem to in everyone right now)? If he’s near his old self and you can get him at the minimum this could be a steal.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 0
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 39
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11