Magic waive Al Harrington. Now who will pick him up?

Aug 2, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT

Al Harrington AP

It has been expected for a while — the Magic had been looking to see if they could trade Al Harrington before they just cut him loose, but there wasn’t much of a market.

So, Orlando waived him Friday, something that Harrington addressed on Instagram.

It’s Official… Orlando has waived me! I just want thanks all the Orlando Fans that embraced me in my short stay there. It was my pleasure playing in front of you guys. Also wanna thank Coaching staff and medical department for helping me get back on court to do what I love the most. And that’s to Hoop with the Best! Now that I’m almost 110% back healthy I’m so excited for my immediate future. Let the phone start ringing. I’m ready!!!!! ✌

He will clear waivers because Harrington was owed $14.7 million for two seasons and nobody is going to pick that tab up. Only about $7.4 million of that was guaranteed, so most likely the buyout was for that amount. Even so, that means he’ll be willing to play for the minimum for a contending team.

The question those teams are asking is if he is healthy — he had a knee surgery that led to a staph infection last season which kept him out of all but 10 games. Is he back to his old self at age 33? Since then he says he has dropped 27 pounds. Remember two seasons ago in Denver Harrington averaged 14.2 points a game, was dangerous from three and had a PER of 15.3, right at the league average. A lot of teams could use that.

The question is who calls? Would the Knicks have interest (they seem to in everyone right now)? If he’s near his old self and you can get him at the minimum this could be a steal.

1. ringjames - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Miami should keep an eye on Harrington. He’s a decent sized PF that can stretch the floor. Not that good of a rebounder but I think he’d fit the Heat well if healthy and in shape.

He’d also be good on the Knicks. Maybe a line up of Stoudemire, Harrington, Melo, Smith, and Shumpert could see some minutes. Great spacing all over, not great defense but that line up could probably erase a lot of deficits in a game.

• nycalldayz - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Nope Miami needs to get younger with their bench. They have too many 30-somethings already sitting on the bench.

2. nycalldayz - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’m sure the Knicks will make a call. Smh.

3. bigx21 - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Denver will call him again.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

They’re fully set at the PF spot already. Not happening.

4. mitchication - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Come on back to Indy, Hurricane!

5. losangelesfan - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Minimum? Lakers! Can’t afford nothin’ else.

6. losangelesfan - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Scratch that. He’s from NJ. Knicks or Nets.

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Nets already have a full roster, with five different guys who can play PF.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The Nets can sign him. He will fit perfectly on their team that is clearly trying to compete for the 2004 title.

• ddogdaddy - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Straight up funny. I say come home “Baby Al”. Indy is where it started. Larry Bird wants to strengthen the Pacers bench and I think Harrington would fit in nicely with the group already signed during the off-season.

• dondada10 - Aug 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Copeland > Harrington

7. sportsnut101 - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Do they give u the full 7 mil check at once or it’s spread out over the yr

I rather have it spread out over two yrs less of a tax it

8. rmo42 - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Dude looks just like Raphael the Ninja Turtle.

• jabronikid - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Lol I can’t stop laughing…

9. cornbreadbbqred - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Dial him up for the LAKERS!

10. jadaruler - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Thunder.

11. jcrileyesq - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM

could get mins on okc at 4, and play serge at 5… anything to keep perkins off the floor

12. seabronco - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Send him back to Denver!

13. adamsjohn714 - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Nobody should sign him. He’s old, and not any good at basketball.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches