Aug 2, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Luis Scola has reached the “I just want to win” phase of his career.
Scola was shipped from the rebuilding Phoenix Suns to the contending Indiana Pacers this summer and will be part of a much deeper bench for the Pacers.
Scola (like everybody) would love more time on the court but said he is ready to accept his new role if it means winning, reports Michael Pointer of the USA Today.
“I’m 32 years old,” Scola said. “I don’t know how many more years I’m going to play. We all know the older we are, the more you know, and we all know it’s about winning. People won’t care about all the numbers you have if you play on a bad team. It’s all about winning. I know that. The older I am, the stronger I believe that.”
“It’s not my choice, but I am going to embrace my role,” he said. “It’s a different role, but I think we’ve got a bunch of new players that can make a difference in the role they play. I will try to be one of those players.”
Indiana has one of the NBA’s best starting fives last season (and into the playoffs) but the drop when you got into their bench was steep. This summer they added Scola, Chris Copeland, C.J. Watson and they get Danny Granger back, which means either he or Lance Stephenson will come off the bench, too. Add in a few minutes for Ian Mahinmi and you have a solid second five, one that can keep the starter’s minutes under control.
The Pacers are serious title contenders next year — they won 49 games last season (that will go up), they had the best defense in the NBA and their size is a real matchup problem for Miami. If Granger and Paul George can meld, they are a serious threat to win it all.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)