John Wall says he’s the best point guard in NBA (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2013, 2:42 PM EST

John Wall is not the best point guard in the NBA.

I think it’s Chris Paul. If you want to debate it’s Tony Parker or Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving (he will be in a couple of years), those are legitimate arguments to make. Wall hasn’t put himself in that conversation yet, despite his new five-year, $80 million contract.

Unless you ask Wall. Which is exactly what SI’s Chris Mannix (who works with NBC as well) did filling in for Dan Patrick on the radio Friday. The entire interview is above (they discuss take-out tipping, which is somehow a debate — yes you should tip a little) but here is the crux of the discussion:

Mannix: Alright, John. Where do you rank among NBA point guards?
Wall: Me?
Mannix: Where do you rank, yeah?
Wall: I rank myself the best.
Mannix: Number 1?
Wall: Yeah, I rank myself the best.
Mannix: Are you basing that on past accomplishments or are you basing it on what you think you can do in the future?
Wall: Just basing it on what I can do in the future…I feel like I always can improve. There’s a lot of talented point guards out there, but I feel like I can hold my own.

Well, he’s confident.

Wall has the tools to be one of the NBA’s elite point guards, but he hasn’t put that level of play together for an extended period (and there have been injuries). The Wizards are betting that he can — betting $80 million. For a Washington team that needs to change its culture and needs to overpay a star to be their anchor, it’s a good gamble. But it is one.

1. adamsjohn714 - Aug 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/beno-udrih-says-hes-the-best-pg-in-nba-video/

• spthegr8 - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You GOTTA love his confidence………BUUUUUTTTT he isn’t. I can think of a cpl of the top of my head. Tony Parker, Cp3, Deron Willams,Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry….. & I like John Wall & Their is NO denying what he means and brings to that wizard’s team. He just isn’t the best pg in the league. Just Saying!!!

2. axelmontoya99 - Aug 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM

NBA players are like pirates, they only vote for themselves

3. aboogy123456 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

John Wall was injured once and there’s no indication it’s something that will linger. Why do people think he’s injury prone? It’s not like he’s steph curry.

4. nflcinbengals - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

If you say so John, you are good but win some individual OR team accolades for once before making that claim, Bulls Nation!

5. barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Apparently John Wall has an undocumented brain injury as well if he thinks hes even in the top 10 of PGs.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

He’s probably a top 10 PG but he needs to prove himself this upcoming season. He played great last year but he has to show he can sustain that level of play. I am personally a fan and think he can do it, but we will see this season.

6. tjr324 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yeah, since when did having one injury make you injury prone? Are Westbrook, Rose, and Rondo now going to be considered injury prone for the rest of their careers? While John Wall has had one significant injury that caused him to miss a lot of time last year, Kyrie Irving has had multiple injuries in his short career (including his 1 year at duke) that have caused him to miss games, yet nobody calls him injury prone.

I think people are a little too high on Irving. Yes, he can knock down a ton of shots and is very good offensively, but can also be a liability on the defensive side. Similarly to Wall, he hasnt lead his team anywhere close to the playoffs yet, but doesnt receive the same criticism for it. Wall is better defensively and is much more athletic than Irving is. Irving has a better shot than Wall at the moment, but a player can improve their shot with practice (something Wall has done every season). It’s not nearly as common for a player to just all of the sudden be more athletic.

7. mpetey123 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I think Rose could be considered injury prone at this point. I love when athletes say these things, whats the big deal all it means is they have to play to that level is that such a bad thing. Better then a league of EMO PABs crying about they suck.

8. eagleseagleseagles - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

#1 reason I hate these kinds of articles that the media tries to stir up controversy……

If someone asks you to rank yourself, why would you say other people are better than you. You have to name yourself as THE BEST whether you are or aren’t.

Stupid Article. Move on. John Wall clearly isn’t the best but give him 2 years. #iPromise

9. cantonbound13 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Stephon Marbury said the same thing before he ended up in China.

10. antistratfordian - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM

You know… over the last 20 games Wall averaged 24.3 PTS, 8.3 AST, 5.0 REB on 47% FG.

If he keeps playing like that no one will be able to argue with him about it.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

what did he do over the first two years and 62 games of his career?

• barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

He played a 120 games…his team won 40 games and he shot around 40%. TOP 10 PG…BEST IN THE GAME.

Lol these kids no JACK

• tjr324 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

lets see… he averaged around 16 points and 8 assists in his first two seasons. Happens to be better than westbrook, parker, and rondo did in their first two seasons, and about the same as chris paul’s averages in his first two years in the NBA

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Without even glancing at the numbers, (let’s just assume they’re correct) do not besmirch the best PG in the NBA by far, Chris Paul, whose rookie season was better than any of these guys best years.

• barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Way to grab a stat and not look at the REAL PICTURE.

The Wizards were 5-10 in their last 15 lost their last 6 games where he shot under 40% and was atrocious.

He shot 42% from the field and take out 4 outlier games when he shot over 50% and they were only 2-2 he would have shot under 40%

CLASS DISMISSED.

• tjr324 - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Way to grab a stat and not look at the REAL PICTURE.

In those games you’re referring to at the end of the season beal, nene, and webster all didnt play for majority of them….basically their whole starting lineup. hard to win games when the rest of the starters dont even play. pretty sure u have no idea what your talking about barkley. all of your comments have exclusively thumb down. stop bringing shame to one of the greatest names in nba history

• abchome - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

That pale in comparison with Jeremy Lin during the height of Linsanity.

• aboogy123456 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

why don’t you read what he said. He said “If he keeps playing like that no one will be able to argue with him about it”

And GMs, or anybody who knows basketball, don’t just look at stats to evaluate players. Most of them could see that Linsanity was probably not going to last, but John wall was a clear cut #1 pick coming into the league. You should watch the games and see how he makes his teammates so much better.

11. barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

If you think John Wall shot has improved your out of your mind. Take a look at a shot chart and see that primarily all his shots are foul line in and its his highest percentage. Stop making up stats because you see his scoring go up.

FACT

John Wall shot 325 shots in the paint where he avg 48% vs 387 outside of the paint where he averaged 33%. He shot 33% on perimeter shots outside of the paint…THAT IS NOT AN IMPROVING JUMPSHOT.

33% PERIMETER JUMP SHOOTER…..

CLASS DISMISSED.

And please stop with the better defender nonsense. Jrue Holiday is by far a better perimeter defender then John Wall and all his athleticism.

Please find me some facts to support your VAGUE ARGUMENTS.

12. leearmon - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

While I don’t think Wall is the best PG in the league, he does have his strengths. He probably has the best court vision of all the younger PG in the league i.e. Rose, Curry, Lawson, Irving etc – well other than Rubio.

As for the commonly thought of best PG’s, hard to say Paul is the best when he’s only won one playoff series in his entire career. And is horrible on defense. I would go with Westbrook being the best, depending on how Rose bounces back. And of course Rondo and Curry are right there as well.

• aboogy123456 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Paul, the same guy who made all defense this past year, is horrible on defense? And you can’t judge a player solely on his team success, he’s the reason that the hornets and clippers ever made the playoffs. I’m sure if you paired him with Kevin Durant he would win more series.

• reastnt - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Paul is horrible on defense??? That’s wacky talk.

• bougin89 - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Not sure why you think CP3 is bad on defense. He’s actually a really good defender. Was absolutely awesome on Team USA defensively last go around.

13. pauliewalnuts90 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Clearly, he already deposited that 80 mil in his head.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

He does have an inflated head.

14. biscuitneck - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Biscuitneck doesn’t agree with John Wall….and Biscuitneck thinks he can eat more wings than ANYONE. I feel like I am stretching my stomach daily, and I feel like I will only continue to increase my intake.

15. jhop86 - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Why would you ask him that what was he spost to say Chris poul

16. sire2334 - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I have him at No.3. Paul, Rondo, Wall. But I don’t consider Rose and Westbrook PURE point guards. I don’t get all of the hate on Wall.

17. kicksave1980 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Even though I don’t think he’s the best, if I just gave a player 80 million, I’d want him to have that attitude. You have to believe it before it can become a reality.

18. barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Lmao here come the excuses. First he is the greatest because they went 24-25, now that he was 5-10 last 15 and was horrible its all the OTHER players fault.

Go sit down. You wanted to throw out stars and nonsense and when the real numbers get put out you cry.

Lol only you young morons care what an anonymous thumb does. Get a clue.

19. barkley4life - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

See how these kids backpedal when they have to back up their nonsense with fact lol. Suddenly because he’s on a commercial and got a big contract he’s top 3. Lol a career 42% shooter….below 40% jump shooter….BELOW hahahahaha but he’s better then Irving with an improving jump shot CLUELESS

20. nateboomer - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Now see. That’s why I’ve been having all of these problems the past few years. First Deron Williams said he was the best guard in the NBA. Now Wall says he’s the best. And just last week Derrick Rose said that he was the best point guard; No. Strike that, Rose says he’s the “best player” in the NBA period. Someone please help me! I’m so confused!!!

21. albertmn - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I understand these guys need to think they are the best. But, in his mind is the only place Wall will ever be the best PG. He isn’t good enough, nor mentally strong enough.

22. unsportsmenmic - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    You got to be smoking crack, or on PED’s to even utter those words. But as a Wiz fan I love the confidence.

23. pachingg - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Like he was gonna say Rose or Irving is.. got a chip? Prove it, put your best play on the court.

24. raycharlesj - Aug 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM

What do you expect him to say??? I’m the worst point guard in the league!!!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches