Aug 2, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
When you’re the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets, you get invited to exclusive special movie screenings. That doesn’t happen much to the head coach of the Bucks (sorry to break it to you, Larry Drew).
Kidd was at the New York premiere of the new Matt Damon/Jodie Foster film “Elysium” (which looked good in the trailers) and got asked about movies, and his response was how he could use them as a coach.
Jason Kidd: I’m a big fan of the “Matrix.” I thought that was a classic, it kind of gave us something of what the future could be. But also some of the plot of this movie! He’s fighting for what he believes in and so it’s something that hopefully when I see them, now that I’m a coach, I can use this as one of my tools.
Q: Speaking of which, how have the new members of the Nets meshed with the team?
Jason Kidd: They’ve been great, we got a great group of guys. And so I’m very excited about the veteran guys and I’m looking forward to it. But you know, when you come to movies like this you pick up different things.
If Kidd could get Deron Williams to bend space and time like Neo in the “Matrix” it certainly would help Brooklyn’s transition game.
I guess these movies can serve as fine bits of motivation and lessons. But with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce on the roster now, motivation is not really going to be the issue. Melding and offense and defense that works will, and we will see how Kidd does with that.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22