Aug 2, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
When you’re the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets, you get invited to exclusive special movie screenings. That doesn’t happen much to the head coach of the Bucks (sorry to break it to you, Larry Drew).
Kidd was at the New York premiere of the new Matt Damon/Jodie Foster film “Elysium” (which looked good in the trailers) and got asked about movies, and his response was how he could use them as a coach.
Jason Kidd: I’m a big fan of the “Matrix.” I thought that was a classic, it kind of gave us something of what the future could be. But also some of the plot of this movie! He’s fighting for what he believes in and so it’s something that hopefully when I see them, now that I’m a coach, I can use this as one of my tools.
Q: Speaking of which, how have the new members of the Nets meshed with the team?
Jason Kidd: They’ve been great, we got a great group of guys. And so I’m very excited about the veteran guys and I’m looking forward to it. But you know, when you come to movies like this you pick up different things.
If Kidd could get Deron Williams to bend space and time like Neo in the “Matrix” it certainly would help Brooklyn’s transition game.
I guess these movies can serve as fine bits of motivation and lessons. But with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce on the roster now, motivation is not really going to be the issue. Melding and offense and defense that works will, and we will see how Kidd does with that.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18