Dez Bryant says LeBron would be “beast” in NFL

Aug 2, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT

LeBron James Football Getty Images

As NFL training camps open, it’s time for that annual barstool debate:

Could LeBron James play in the NFL?

There are plenty of doubters who love to question LeBron’s toughness (just go check out the flopping comments on this post as they roll in). However, in the “yes he can” column I bring you outspoken Cowboy’s wide receiver Dez Bryant. Here is what he told ESPNDallas.com.

“That dude is just that talented,” said Bryant, who is coming off a breakout season of 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. “I think it would take him probably about a good two weeks to get very acquainted with football, knowing what he’s supposed to do. I think that’s all he’d need with his physical ability.

“I’ve seen a little bit of his highlights from high school. He’s got the hands, he can run the routes, he’s fast enough. He could play in this league if he put it all together.”

At 6’8”, 240 pounds, with good quickness, great hands and the ability to out-jump pretty much any defender, you could see LeBron as a tight end in the NFL. Lob the ball up high in the end zone and he could go get it. I don’t think anyone questions the physical tools. That said, I also imagine some free safeties’ eyes would get as big as dinner plates watching a target that large come across the middle to catch a pass — there would be some thunderous hits.

LeBron loves football (remember he and Kevin Durant had teams for a flag football), but he kind of wisely gave that up to focus on basketball. He’s done pretty well for himself that way.

By the way, Chris Paul was at Dallas camp… he’s not really built for the NFL. But he sounded like a wide-eyed fan.

“I’m like a little kid,” Paul told reporters at the end of practice. “I’ve done a lot of good things in my career, but this is one of the highlights of my life. These guys probably have no clue what it means to me. I used to act like I was Ken Norton in the backyard playing middle linebacker.”

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches