Aug 2, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
As NFL training camps open, it’s time for that annual barstool debate:
Could LeBron James play in the NFL?
There are plenty of doubters who love to question LeBron’s toughness (just go check out the flopping comments on this post as they roll in). However, in the “yes he can” column I bring you outspoken Cowboy’s wide receiver Dez Bryant. Here is what he told ESPNDallas.com.
“That dude is just that talented,” said Bryant, who is coming off a breakout season of 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. “I think it would take him probably about a good two weeks to get very acquainted with football, knowing what he’s supposed to do. I think that’s all he’d need with his physical ability.
“I’ve seen a little bit of his highlights from high school. He’s got the hands, he can run the routes, he’s fast enough. He could play in this league if he put it all together.”
At 6’8”, 240 pounds, with good quickness, great hands and the ability to out-jump pretty much any defender, you could see LeBron as a tight end in the NFL. Lob the ball up high in the end zone and he could go get it. I don’t think anyone questions the physical tools. That said, I also imagine some free safeties’ eyes would get as big as dinner plates watching a target that large come across the middle to catch a pass — there would be some thunderous hits.
By the way, Chris Paul was at Dallas camp… he’s not really built for the NFL. But he sounded like a wide-eyed fan.
“I’m like a little kid,” Paul told reporters at the end of practice. “I’ve done a lot of good things in my career, but this is one of the highlights of my life. These guys probably have no clue what it means to me. I used to act like I was Ken Norton in the backyard playing middle linebacker.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11