Aug 2, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
As NFL training camps open, it’s time for that annual barstool debate:
Could LeBron James play in the NFL?
There are plenty of doubters who love to question LeBron’s toughness (just go check out the flopping comments on this post as they roll in). However, in the “yes he can” column I bring you outspoken Cowboy’s wide receiver Dez Bryant. Here is what he told ESPNDallas.com.
“That dude is just that talented,” said Bryant, who is coming off a breakout season of 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. “I think it would take him probably about a good two weeks to get very acquainted with football, knowing what he’s supposed to do. I think that’s all he’d need with his physical ability.
“I’ve seen a little bit of his highlights from high school. He’s got the hands, he can run the routes, he’s fast enough. He could play in this league if he put it all together.”
At 6’8”, 240 pounds, with good quickness, great hands and the ability to out-jump pretty much any defender, you could see LeBron as a tight end in the NFL. Lob the ball up high in the end zone and he could go get it. I don’t think anyone questions the physical tools. That said, I also imagine some free safeties’ eyes would get as big as dinner plates watching a target that large come across the middle to catch a pass — there would be some thunderous hits.
By the way, Chris Paul was at Dallas camp… he’s not really built for the NFL. But he sounded like a wide-eyed fan.
“I’m like a little kid,” Paul told reporters at the end of practice. “I’ve done a lot of good things in my career, but this is one of the highlights of my life. These guys probably have no clue what it means to me. I used to act like I was Ken Norton in the backyard playing middle linebacker.”
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15