Aug 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Opening night of the NBA season, the Miami Heat are going to raise another banner and get their second set of championship rings.
Then they will have to take on the Chicago Bulls, now with Derrick Rose. The Bulls and Heat have started to develop a nice rivalry and this coming season promises to build on that (if everyone can just stay healthy).
Adding a little fuel to that fire is Bulls two guard Jimmy Butler, who went on ESPN Radio in Chicago and said the Bulls players don’t want to watch the Heat ring ceremony and have to shut down a Heat three-peat (as transcribed at ESPNChicago.com).
“I don’t think anybody wants to watch (the ring ceremony) on our team so we won’t pay too much attention to it,” Butler said Tuesday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN Chicago 1000. “They deserved it. They won a championship, definitely, but they got to deal with the Chicago Bulls for 48 minutes coming out right after that, they get their rings….
“I think so,” Butler said when asked about the dislike between the teams. “But it’s not just us, it’s the city. That rivalry, it’s crazy. They’re the back-to-back champions and when you think three-peat, you think Chicago so we can’t let that happen.”
The Bulls — along with the Pacers, plus maybe the Nets and Knicks — can make it a lot harder for the Heat to even get out of the East. Miami basically has stood pat with their roster and are going to have to improve just to get out of their own conference. And that’s not even talking about who comes out of a deep West.
That said the Heat are the team to beat still — they are the back-to-back champs, won 66 games last season and had a 27-game win streak. For all the cracks we saw in their armor during the playoffs, they are still the guys standing on top of the mountain. The Bulls are one team that could knock them off that perch.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 4
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4