Aug 2, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Opening night of the NBA season, the Miami Heat are going to raise another banner and get their second set of championship rings.
Then they will have to take on the Chicago Bulls, now with Derrick Rose. The Bulls and Heat have started to develop a nice rivalry and this coming season promises to build on that (if everyone can just stay healthy).
Adding a little fuel to that fire is Bulls two guard Jimmy Butler, who went on ESPN Radio in Chicago and said the Bulls players don’t want to watch the Heat ring ceremony and have to shut down a Heat three-peat (as transcribed at ESPNChicago.com).
“I don’t think anybody wants to watch (the ring ceremony) on our team so we won’t pay too much attention to it,” Butler said Tuesday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN Chicago 1000. “They deserved it. They won a championship, definitely, but they got to deal with the Chicago Bulls for 48 minutes coming out right after that, they get their rings….
“I think so,” Butler said when asked about the dislike between the teams. “But it’s not just us, it’s the city. That rivalry, it’s crazy. They’re the back-to-back champions and when you think three-peat, you think Chicago so we can’t let that happen.”
The Bulls — along with the Pacers, plus maybe the Nets and Knicks — can make it a lot harder for the Heat to even get out of the East. Miami basically has stood pat with their roster and are going to have to improve just to get out of their own conference. And that’s not even talking about who comes out of a deep West.
That said the Heat are the team to beat still — they are the back-to-back champs, won 66 games last season and had a 27-game win streak. For all the cracks we saw in their armor during the playoffs, they are still the guys standing on top of the mountain. The Bulls are one team that could knock them off that perch.
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8