Aug 1, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
USA Basketball is getting out of the Rockies and heading to the desert.
The organization announced plans Wednesday to build a new $350 million facility in Tempe, Ariz. — right next to the Arizona State Campus — that will by the new home of all things USA Basketball.
This isn’t just a basketball facility, it is a mixed-use development (meaning there is also a hotel and 30,000-square-foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, 160,000 square feet of retail and up to 200,000 square feet of office space).
“This is an exciting and an incredible opportunity that offers nothing but positives for USA Basketball,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo. “USA Place will offer USA Basketball an excellent site for the development of its office headquarters, a training center and event center that will provide the organization with a first-class site for hosting junior level events and will allow USA Basketball to continue to evolve.
“The new USA Basketball headquarters and training center will be first-class, state of art facilities, something I know we will be very proud of.”
While we tend to be focused on the senior men’s national team — and that is the group that brings in the most sponsors and money — USA Basketball includes the dominant women’s national team, plus a number of youth development programs for boys and girls. All of that would now be housed in the new facility.
Credit Colangelo for this — when he took over USA Basketball it was on a shoestring budget. All his steps to put a winning product on the court and create an atmosphere to draw the biggest names to the men’s team helped turn the program around. With that came the sponsors and their money.
Which paved the way for the new building.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37