Aug 1, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
The Bucks made their intentions clear when they went after Jeff Teague (with an offer the Hawks matched) — they were moving on from Brandon Jennings. The problem was finding a trading partner willing to take him on in a sign-and-trade deal, Jennings stock wasn’t high.
Which means the Bucks got Brandon Knight in return — a guard entering his third season who was once pictured as a point guard but the Pistons started to see as a catch-and-shoot two guard. Knight has said he just needs more time but he can play the point in the NBA.
Bucks GM John Hammond has got Knight now and of course the first thing you do is praise the guy you just acquired. Which is exactly what Hammond did to the Journal-Sentinel.
“He still has tremendous growth ahead after two solid years in the NBA,” Hammond said of the 21-year-old Knight. “He’s a future building block to the organization because of the kind of player and person he is….
“Let’s make it perfectly clear. He’s a starting point guard in the NBA,” Hammond said
That has yet to be determined. The Bucks have solid veteran point guard Luke Ridnour on the roster as well and we know he can start and be somewhat effective.
What Knight will get here is a real opportunity at the point. His decision making has to improve, particularly on the pick-and-roll where he turned the ball over on 20.6 percent of the possessions used and didn’t shoot well at all. He’s quick enough to get into the lane, but he isn’t taking advantage of that when he does. What Knight has been solid at is as a spot-up shooter (and in transition), but he hasn’t shown the ability to lead a half-court offense.
The Bucks are rebuilding, and Knight will get a chance to be the point guard of the future. But it’s on him now; no praise from a GM is going to make your numbers get better. And with Ridnour in house, the Bucks coaching staff has another option.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16