Aug 1, 2013, 7:36 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because I love bullet points more than I love a good Phó (and I do love a good Phó)….
• When is Derrick Rose likely to first put on a Bulls uniform in a game again? Probably a preseason game Oct. 5 at Indiana. Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has said he will play Rose the regular amount of preseason minutes, what the other starters will get.
• Is this the cup that started the infamous Malice in the Palace brawl? There is no conclusive evidence, but when has that ever stopped a good Internet rumor.
• Over at Forum Blue and Gold there is a fantastic look at shot distance and the impact on points per possession. Looking at all the more than 200,000 shots taken in the NBA this year, the first conclusion is what analytics guys have argued for while now — the most efficient shots are near the rim or from three. But it’s not that simple. Which five teams combined for taking the highest percentage of their shots inside eight feet or from three? The Rockets, Nuggets, Pistons, Lakers and Kings. While the first two on that list had good offenses, the point is simply taking smart shots is not the same as making shots, or winning. Go read the entire post, it is an interesting look at shooting in the league.
• Speaking of interesting breakdowns… the Bucks have signed their first round pick Giannis Antetokounmpo. Here is Bucks coach Larry Drew talking about how the team found him and what they saw in him.
• The NBA has teamed up with the Department of Defense to help get some of our men and women on military bases, plus their families, in better shape.
• The Celtics decided against picking up Shavlik Randolph‘s $1.1 million team option for next season. Wisely.
• The DeJuan Blair to the Mavericks signing is official.
• Spurs reserve guard Nando De Colo suffered what appears to be a minor injury (no details on what kind) while in training with the French national team (Project Spurs found this French media report). We say minor because he is still expected to play in an exhibition game Friday with the team.
• Tony Allen hosts a youth camp, but when he steps on the court with 10 and 12 year olds, don’t expect him to go easy on them — he was posting them up on offense, shutting them down then trash talking on defense.
• Delonte West is still hoping his phone will ring.
• Shawn Kemp almost missed a team flight in Cleveland and he blamed his dog sleeping in front of his car for it.
• Bobby Brown has reached a deal to play in China next season.
• Former Clipper DaJuan Summers has agreed to play for BC Budivelnyk in Ukraine next season.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)