Sixers not working to buy out Kwame Brown… yet

Aug 1, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT

Rudy Gay, Kwame Brown AP

It’s not expected that Kwame Brown will be back with the Sixers next season.

Brown picked up his $3 million option to come back to the Sixers this season, because he’s not getting that money anywhere else. Still, it’s been expected that the team would buy out that deal and send him on his merry way.

But that hasn’t happened yet, and the conversations haven’t even started yet, reports Tom Moore of Phillyburbs.com.

Sam Hinkie and the 76ers aren’t working on buying out any player contracts, according to an NBA source…

It’s hard to imagine the Sixers wanting Brown, who is not known for being a hard worker or leader, back with so many young players on the roster. The Sixers could waive Brown or try to buy him out for, say, 90 percent of his salary.

Dealing with Kwame Brown one way or another is not the biggest priority now, getting a head coach in place is. Whether it is just interviewed David Vanterpool or Brett Brown or Michael Curry or Jay Larranaga, they guy they do eventually hire for the big chair may have some say about what to do with Brown.

1. sportsnut101 - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Not the great kwame brown this guy is a bum how is he in league who cares if he’s 7ft he doesn’t even play that much what’s the point

Greatest pick of michael Jordan career

2. giantboy99 - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Michael Jordan’s boy

3. eatitfanboy - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Why buy him out? A low energy, marginally talented player on a one year low cost deal that you can completely wipe off the books is exactly what the Sixers, a team with literally no reason to attempt to win basketball games this year, needs. Why risk replacing him with a young hungry player with something to prove that could potentially rob you of valuable ping pong balls?

• ryanrockzzz - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I can see that point, but even if the Sixers are the league’s worst team, there is no way they can be a lock for No. 1, or even No. 2. If you get a hungry player on this team who is a good influence, that won’t skew their horrible record by that much, and they’d still have a chance at No. 1 without having a lazy, no talent player inpacting youg players.

• eatitfanboy - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

And I see yours. I was mainly being tongue in cheek, with my point being that anything done this year is solely with an eye towards next year.

4. biasedhomer - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I wouldn’t want Brown anywhere near young players also.
    Remember he said he taught Bynum everything he knew which I think is BS, but Kwame definitely didn’t help improve Bynum’s selfish diva personality.

5. dezglobal - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Still can’t believe what a huge flop this turd turned out to be.

• eatitfanboy - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Huge flop heading into his 13th NBA season. Nice work if you can get it.

6. kb2408 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Every time I see that name I’m reminded that he actually donned the PURPLE AND GOLD of my beloved LAKERS. And LAKER haters talk about dark days in L.A…..believe me, we’ve seen darker days!!

• asimonetti88 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I just remember him getting sued for dropping a birthday cake. Proving that the jokes about his bad hands weren’t as much kidding as they were true…

• doclolly - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Are you kidding me Kwame Brown, Luke Walton, and Smush Parker they were the showtime lakers of mid 00’s.
      XD

7. theanswer0381 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

the sixers should let Kwame Brown start. His defense on big men last year wasnt too bad. But nevertheless starting him would def help them lose and have a better chance at Wiggins. Id take him in the middle and trade Spencer Hawes in a package with Turner.

8. somekat - Aug 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

play him 40 minutes a game, tank baby

9. MyTeamsAllStink - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I admit I didn’t know he was still in the league.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches