New Orleans Pelicans officially unveil new uniforms

Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

The New Orleans Pelicans officially unveiled their uniforms for the upcoming season, and the simple design is underwhelming, at best.

No sign of the Pelicans logo, and no bright or interesting color scheme. Just the city’s name on the front of both the home and away jerseys, with some gold trim making its way down the sides.

Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday were two of the players who modeled the new uniforms at the press conference (Photo via @RealGM)

source:

Does the simpler design work for you, or would you rather have seen something more bold? They did say during the event that the NBA doesn’t allow new teams a third alternate jersey in their first season, so we can hold out hope for another year that they may go with something a little more interesting.

(And yes, we’re discussing uniform designs — it’s the NBA news cycle in August at its finest.)

1. lmoneyfresh - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I’m cool with simple, but those are just plain boring.

2. mogogo1 - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I was expecting NOLA across the front and something a bit more exciting than these. They look like practice gear from the Saints.

3. eagles512 - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Zzzzzzzzz

4. casualcommenter - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Agreed with everyone else.
    The uniforms don’t look BAD but at the same time, there’s nothing really distinctive about the jersey at all.
    No “NOLA”, no Pelican logo…really nothing to make them memorable.

5. giantssb42champs - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Just happy the Hornets will be back in Charlotte where they belong. I can deal with these unis.

6. moseskkim - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

It’s not horrible but yeah boring. I really don’t like Brooklyn logo too. U would think with all the artistic minds in the us that someone could come up with a more creative attractive logo

7. kingwithringz - Aug 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Is it just me or does the AWAY jersey look like the Pacers?

8. asimonetti88 - Aug 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I like simple, and I don’t think these are awful but they are sorta boring. They have a nice color scheme and logo at their disposal a bit disappointed they didn’t utilize it.

9. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Okaaaaay. I hope my 2014-2015 Charlotte Hornets jerseys are a little more fetching.

10. trublazer - Aug 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I understand that’s the state bird???
    wack name.. but I do like the logo

11. themike31 - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

They’re bland, but I like that they’re not going overboard and trying to be different just to sell merch.

A uniform never won a title, if they win in ‘em they’ll look good.

12. thegonz13 - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That’s it? That’s the best the can come up with?

Simple is one thing, but this is beyond bland!

13. bruceeff - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I like the jerseys. They’re simple and classy. The name “pelicans,” on the other hand, is terrible.

14. echech88 - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Wow. Talk about a HUGE fail when it comes to a re-brand.

You are trying to tell the NBA world that you are no longer the Hornets and are now the PELICANS. If this team comes to your road building or if you watch them on TNT or something, what is there to tell you this isn’t the Hornets?

From what I can tell there isn’t a single thing on the uniform that suggests they are called the Pelicans. Is there another team in the league with such ambiguous unis?

Talk about a mess when Charlotte officially re-brands to the Hornets.

Pelicans is a really weird, unique choice for a name. I wasn’t hoping for silly or crazy uniforms…but definitely some sort of personality (especially for the city they play in!).

• scorp16 - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I agree

People think French Quarter when they think New Orleans.

The French Quarter is about 80 square blocks. In those 80 square blocks you have like 70 bars, 20 strip clubs and like 60 restaurants (not including the CBD). Pelicans? Really?

New Orleans Voodoo would have been a much more marketable name. Just think of the merchandising opportunities.

15. imjustthemom - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I like them quite a bit— it’s a clean, timeless design and very much in line with other uniforms in the league. We have one more coming in each of the next two years, and those would be more appropriate for the splashy, trendy look some of you are advocating. The font on the numbers and letters is very much like the ones on street signs in the Quarter, so it speaks to those of us from New Orleans. And for those who are complaining that the fleur-de-lis Pelican logo isn’t in play– the logo is on the back of the jersey and on the side of the shorts… it’s subtle, perhaps too much so, but it’s there and I think it gives a cool look to the pants. Sure, the jersey doesn’t say NOLA… but that was the last major revamp of the Hornets uniform— why would you want to go there and have everyone say it’s just like the Hornets but in a different color scheme? So, I like “New Orleans” across the front instead of NOLA.

16. nola5712 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

@scorp voodoo would be awesome…if it wasn’t already our arena football team’s name. I love their logo and uni’s too…too bad they stink at football :P I had a dream that they would name them the NBA’s New Orleans Saints with some awesome black and gold uni’s. sigh…pipe dreams. go pelicans!

17. ascensionparish - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM

No sign of the Pelicans logo? It’s right there on each side of the shorts. Also a secondary logo on the back above the names. I actually kind of like them. My only real gripe is the the font size of “New Orleans” on the chest is too small.

• fm31970 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Agreed, the wordmark should be larger.

Understated is always preferable to awful (see OKC Thunder’s unis, including the horrible third “fauxback”)

18. sportsnut101 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

They had to do simple due to the fact of pelican name

19. wwttww - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Typical Nola Fail.

20. bigx21 - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Need the new Peli’s logo in front of both home and away jersey. Add the NO on the bottom or something!!

21. skinsfanwill - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Seeing that everyone from New Orleans refers to the place as the “NO”, they should have included it there somewhere. That way the NO is always in the house.

• imjustthemom - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I’m not sure I agree with your statement that “everyone from New Orleans refers to the place as the ‘NO'”… I don’t know anyone here in New Orleans that does that. “The 504″ maybe… “NOLA” certainly… but “The NO”… ummm…. NO, we don’t do that.

22. bbk1000 - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I still think they should have been called the New Orleans Peckerheads.

23. lowtalker - Aug 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

If you think these are boring then you must sleepwalk when you look at the Brooklyn Nets uniform . . .really?? . . . black and white . .. how boring is that . . . . .

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches