Aug 1, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Seth Curry, the Duke shooting guard, would play anywhere in the NBA at this point.
He went undrafted in June, in part due to an injury to his shin that required surgery and kept him out of draft workouts and Summer League. Now he’s looking at some training camp invites and trying to see if there is a place an undersized two guard — but one with a good outside shot — can latch on.
But if he had his choice, he’d want the Bobcats, Curry told The Sporting News. Yes, somebody coming out of college wants to play for the Bobcats.
“It’s my home,” Curry said (of Charlotte). “This is where I grew up. I would love to come back here and play…
“They have a lot of guys who can slash and create,” Curry said of the Bobcats. “They have a few shooters, guys who can knock down shots consistently, but I think they need more shooters. I can fill that role and be a guard who comes off the bench and scores.”
What Curry brings in terms of value is his shot — he hit nearly 44 percent of his looks from beyond the arc his senior season. The son of Dell and brother of Stephen, this is another Curry that can shoot the rock.
What held him back in the draft is everything else. He is 6’3” in shoes, which is undersized for an NBA two guard, and he lacks the length and explosive athleticism to make up for that. There are questions about his defense at the next level and his ability to create his own shot when defenders close out (although he improved on that at Duke).
Curry is set to work out for the Bobcats soon, and he will get a camp invite somewhere. He does have several camp invites on the table, he will choose the spot where he thinks he has the best chance to land a roster spot.
And that might be in his hometown of Charlotte. Even if the odds there (and everywhere are long).
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 25
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23