Aug 1, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Seth Curry, the Duke shooting guard, would play anywhere in the NBA at this point.
He went undrafted in June, in part due to an injury to his shin that required surgery and kept him out of draft workouts and Summer League. Now he’s looking at some training camp invites and trying to see if there is a place an undersized two guard — but one with a good outside shot — can latch on.
But if he had his choice, he’d want the Bobcats, Curry told The Sporting News. Yes, somebody coming out of college wants to play for the Bobcats.
“It’s my home,” Curry said (of Charlotte). “This is where I grew up. I would love to come back here and play…
“They have a lot of guys who can slash and create,” Curry said of the Bobcats. “They have a few shooters, guys who can knock down shots consistently, but I think they need more shooters. I can fill that role and be a guard who comes off the bench and scores.”
What Curry brings in terms of value is his shot — he hit nearly 44 percent of his looks from beyond the arc his senior season. The son of Dell and brother of Stephen, this is another Curry that can shoot the rock.
What held him back in the draft is everything else. He is 6’3” in shoes, which is undersized for an NBA two guard, and he lacks the length and explosive athleticism to make up for that. There are questions about his defense at the next level and his ability to create his own shot when defenders close out (although he improved on that at Duke).
Curry is set to work out for the Bobcats soon, and he will get a camp invite somewhere. He does have several camp invites on the table, he will choose the spot where he thinks he has the best chance to land a roster spot.
And that might be in his hometown of Charlotte. Even if the odds there (and everywhere are long).
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68