Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
Rockets’ forward Terrence Jones was arrested in his native Portland early Wednesday morning (late Tuesday night) after an altercation with a homeless man, reports NBC affiliate KGW in Portland.
A patrolling officer said he saw a group of people leaving the Tube nightclub spill out onto the sidewalk on Northwest 3rd Avenue just after 2 a.m., said Sgt. Pete Simpson with Portland police.
While watching the group walk away, the officer watched 21-year-old Jones walk by a doorway where two homeless men were sleeping. The officer said Jones yelled “wake up” and then stomped on one of the men’s legs, Simpson said.
Police contacted Jones in the group of around eight people and took him into custody. He was booked in the Multnomah County Jail on harassment charges.
The homeless man’s injuries were minor and he did not need medical attention, according to police.
Jones will make a court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Portland.
Jones was a Portland high school star who went on to play on Kentucky where he won a national championship in 2012. He barely got off the bench as a rookie with the Rockets, appearing in just 19 games. Outside a couple impressive dunks his rookie year was not notable. He showed some skills, averaging 15.8 points and 7 rebounds a game in the Orlando Summer League this year, where he shot just 42.2 percent overall but 36.4 percent from three.
With the Rockets entering a win-now mode, it is up for debate how much time even an improved Jones would get going forward. He is on the Rockets payroll still under his rookie contract.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7