Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Rockets’ forward Terrence Jones was arrested in his native Portland early Wednesday morning (late Tuesday night) after an altercation with a homeless man, reports NBC affiliate KGW in Portland.
A patrolling officer said he saw a group of people leaving the Tube nightclub spill out onto the sidewalk on Northwest 3rd Avenue just after 2 a.m., said Sgt. Pete Simpson with Portland police.
While watching the group walk away, the officer watched 21-year-old Jones walk by a doorway where two homeless men were sleeping. The officer said Jones yelled “wake up” and then stomped on one of the men’s legs, Simpson said.
Police contacted Jones in the group of around eight people and took him into custody. He was booked in the Multnomah County Jail on harassment charges.
The homeless man’s injuries were minor and he did not need medical attention, according to police.
Jones will make a court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Portland.
Jones was a Portland high school star who went on to play on Kentucky where he won a national championship in 2012. He barely got off the bench as a rookie with the Rockets, appearing in just 19 games. Outside a couple impressive dunks his rookie year was not notable. He showed some skills, averaging 15.8 points and 7 rebounds a game in the Orlando Summer League this year, where he shot just 42.2 percent overall but 36.4 percent from three.
With the Rockets entering a win-now mode, it is up for debate how much time even an improved Jones would get going forward. He is on the Rockets payroll still under his rookie contract.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 5
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11