Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Wizards locked up John Wall with a five-year contract extension worth $80 million on Wednesday, and the news excited a couple of other big-time NBA players who will be due for similar extensions in the very near future.
Paul George of the Indiana Pacers started things on Twitter, when he sent out a message saying “80 ball!! Congrats to the bro JW!”
Not exactly top-secret encryption, there.
Kyrie Irving seconded George’s congratulations, and in this case his retweet was indeed an endorsement. George sent out Irving’s message to his followers, as well.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 1, 2013
All three players spent time together last week at USA Basketball’s four-day minicamp in Las Vegas, but the bond doesn’t end there.
Irving and George will both be seeking max extensions like the one that Wall just signed, and are both viewed by their respective franchises as the cornerstone stars their teams will build around for the future.
There’s no doubt the two were not only excited for Wall, but also for themselves in terms of the contracts they’ll sign shortly that will be comparable in guaranteed dollars.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 7
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 26
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 80
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4