Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Wizards locked up John Wall with a five-year contract extension worth $80 million on Wednesday, and the news excited a couple of other big-time NBA players who will be due for similar extensions in the very near future.
Paul George of the Indiana Pacers started things on Twitter, when he sent out a message saying “80 ball!! Congrats to the bro JW!”
Not exactly top-secret encryption, there.
Kyrie Irving seconded George’s congratulations, and in this case his retweet was indeed an endorsement. George sent out Irving’s message to his followers, as well.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 1, 2013
All three players spent time together last week at USA Basketball’s four-day minicamp in Las Vegas, but the bond doesn’t end there.
Irving and George will both be seeking max extensions like the one that Wall just signed, and are both viewed by their respective franchises as the cornerstone stars their teams will build around for the future.
There’s no doubt the two were not only excited for Wall, but also for themselves in terms of the contracts they’ll sign shortly that will be comparable in guaranteed dollars.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3