Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Wizards locked up John Wall with a five-year contract extension worth $80 million on Wednesday, and the news excited a couple of other big-time NBA players who will be due for similar extensions in the very near future.
Paul George of the Indiana Pacers started things on Twitter, when he sent out a message saying “80 ball!! Congrats to the bro JW!”
Not exactly top-secret encryption, there.
Kyrie Irving seconded George’s congratulations, and in this case his retweet was indeed an endorsement. George sent out Irving’s message to his followers, as well.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 1, 2013
All three players spent time together last week at USA Basketball’s four-day minicamp in Las Vegas, but the bond doesn’t end there.
Irving and George will both be seeking max extensions like the one that Wall just signed, and are both viewed by their respective franchises as the cornerstone stars their teams will build around for the future.
There’s no doubt the two were not only excited for Wall, but also for themselves in terms of the contracts they’ll sign shortly that will be comparable in guaranteed dollars.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29