Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
The Wizards locked up John Wall with a five-year contract extension worth $80 million on Wednesday, and the news excited a couple of other big-time NBA players who will be due for similar extensions in the very near future.
Paul George of the Indiana Pacers started things on Twitter, when he sent out a message saying “80 ball!! Congrats to the bro JW!”
Not exactly top-secret encryption, there.
Kyrie Irving seconded George’s congratulations, and in this case his retweet was indeed an endorsement. George sent out Irving’s message to his followers, as well.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 1, 2013
All three players spent time together last week at USA Basketball’s four-day minicamp in Las Vegas, but the bond doesn’t end there.
Irving and George will both be seeking max extensions like the one that Wall just signed, and are both viewed by their respective franchises as the cornerstone stars their teams will build around for the future.
There’s no doubt the two were not only excited for Wall, but also for themselves in terms of the contracts they’ll sign shortly that will be comparable in guaranteed dollars.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 6
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 14
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 11
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)