Luol Deng talks about life-threatening illness that kept him out of playoffs

Jul 31, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat Getty Images

If I were Luol Deng, I would have been pissed off.

Deng had gotten sick, had to have a spinal tap to test for meningitis, and the tap went bad causing a serious, life-threatening illness that he could not play through. The Bulls listed him as sick with the flu (which Joakim Noah was playing through). Guys don’t miss multiple playoff games with the flu. Deng took to twitter to correct the misperception.

Deng spoke with NBA.com about his recent trip to Africa to run some basketball camps, but part of the conversation was about how last season ended for Deng. And how he had to look at bigger issues that basketball.

“The end of the season was disappointing. I worked hard all season, played in the All-Star, and wanted to take the team as far as possible in the playoffs. But then, when I got sick, I think that we could have handled the situation better. Obviously there are some things that you can’t handle. You can’t really handle getting sick, being taken to the ER or going to the hospital. I got the spinal tap and that’s where it went all wrong. My body didn’t react well to the spinal tap, I had some serious side effects that not only didn’t allow me to play basketball, but really put my life in danger.

“It’s something that I wouldn’t want anyone to go through, but when I went through it, I think that basketball became second – especially that because what I went through health wise, my family was very worried. I never want to experience something like that again.”

Basketball should be second; in the same way your job should not be the most important thing in your life. Work matters, but there should be family and friends, human relationships that matter more. If not, you’re doing it wrong.

I hope Deng is healthy next season. The same for Noah, Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer and the rest of the Chicago Bulls — I want to see what a healthy, rested Bulls team can do in the playoffs against the Heat (and Pacers). Part of that would be Tom Thibodeau backing off the gas a little bit with the minutes, and part of it is luck — like not having a spinal tap go horribly wrong.

Latest Posts
  1. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

2. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

3. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

4. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

5. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

6. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

7. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

8. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

9. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

10. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

11. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

12. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

13. Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’

Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game 1 Getty Images

Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.

14. No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble.

Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets

The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches