Jul 31, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
John Wall got his max money.
We told you this was coming and now it has happened, with the official press conference on Thursday — John Wall has signed a max deal, five-year, $80 million contract with the Washington Wizards reports my man J. Michael at CSNWashington.com (other sources have confirmed this).
The contract extension that’s set to make John Wall the Wizards’ designated player has been finalized and the team will make it official Thursday at a news conference at Verizon Center, persons with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN Washington.
Wall, who has been training in Los Angeles during the off-season, already is in Washington for the announcement.
Are the Wizards betting on potential here? Yes, they’ve seen glimpses of it — in in his last 20 games last season Wall averaged 23.9 points per game on 48.3 percent shooting and 41.7 percent from three as his jump shot fell, plus he added 7.8 assists per game — and the Wizards are counting on more of that.
But the Wizards were also willing to overpay a little for a guy who was good for the team culture. Remember just a few years Washington was just a few years ago — they had the worst locker room in the NBA, with the Gilbert Arenas gun incident just being the most famous of the problems. That team also had a young JaVale McGee, Andray Blatche and Nick Young as “leaders.”
Wall is a professional, works hard at his game, is good in the community. He helps sell tickets, jerseys and sponsorships. He helped change the culture around that team. The Wizards needed that and if it costs a little more, so be it.
We will have more at PBT out of Wall’s press conference Thursday.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 1
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 5
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34