Jul 31, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The Pistons, by their actions, showed what they thought of Brandon Knight as the point guard of the future for them.
The Bucks have veteran Luke Ridnour who can play the point, plus you know O.J. Mayo is going to want the ball in his hands. But in speaking with the Detroit News, Knight said he just needed more time playing the point at this level to get used to it.
“If you think about it using common sense, (the) first year (2011-12) was a lockout … ,” said Knight, who averaged four assists and shot 37 percent from 3point range last season.
“Next year, played half the year (at point guard). I pretty much played it for a full year. Some of the best point guards don’t take a year to develop into what they are. They are given an opportunity to develop. Using common sense, I played it (around) 80 games.”
Knight can knock down threes (36.3 percent last season) and he is quick enough and has the handles to get into the lane. But when he does his decision making needs work. He turns the ball over on better than 17 percent of the possessions he uses (too high a number), and when he does drive into the paint he struggles to finish. Look at his shot chart from last season.
The Bucks can give him time to develop, the question remains can he improve his decision making and finishing? Or is his NBA future as a three-point shooter?
Knight is going to get the chance he wants, let’s see what he does with it.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16