Jul 31, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The Pistons, by their actions, showed what they thought of Brandon Knight as the point guard of the future for them.
The Bucks have veteran Luke Ridnour who can play the point, plus you know O.J. Mayo is going to want the ball in his hands. But in speaking with the Detroit News, Knight said he just needed more time playing the point at this level to get used to it.
“If you think about it using common sense, (the) first year (2011-12) was a lockout … ,” said Knight, who averaged four assists and shot 37 percent from 3point range last season.
“Next year, played half the year (at point guard). I pretty much played it for a full year. Some of the best point guards don’t take a year to develop into what they are. They are given an opportunity to develop. Using common sense, I played it (around) 80 games.”
Knight can knock down threes (36.3 percent last season) and he is quick enough and has the handles to get into the lane. But when he does his decision making needs work. He turns the ball over on better than 17 percent of the possessions he uses (too high a number), and when he does drive into the paint he struggles to finish. Look at his shot chart from last season.
The Bucks can give him time to develop, the question remains can he improve his decision making and finishing? Or is his NBA future as a three-point shooter?
Knight is going to get the chance he wants, let’s see what he does with it.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19