Jul 31, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
The Pistons, by their actions, showed what they thought of Brandon Knight as the point guard of the future for them.
The Bucks have veteran Luke Ridnour who can play the point, plus you know O.J. Mayo is going to want the ball in his hands. But in speaking with the Detroit News, Knight said he just needed more time playing the point at this level to get used to it.
“If you think about it using common sense, (the) first year (2011-12) was a lockout … ,” said Knight, who averaged four assists and shot 37 percent from 3point range last season.
“Next year, played half the year (at point guard). I pretty much played it for a full year. Some of the best point guards don’t take a year to develop into what they are. They are given an opportunity to develop. Using common sense, I played it (around) 80 games.”
Knight can knock down threes (36.3 percent last season) and he is quick enough and has the handles to get into the lane. But when he does his decision making needs work. He turns the ball over on better than 17 percent of the possessions he uses (too high a number), and when he does drive into the paint he struggles to finish. Look at his shot chart from last season.
The Bucks can give him time to develop, the question remains can he improve his decision making and finishing? Or is his NBA future as a three-point shooter?
Knight is going to get the chance he wants, let’s see what he does with it.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)