Jul 31, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Greg Oden impressed the five teams that attended his private workout in Indianapolis last week, and more than one is said to be interested in taking a shot on the former number one overall draft pick whose career has been derailed to this point by a series of debilitating injuries.
Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Atlanta all got a look at Oden, and while representatives from Dallas didn’t attend the workout, there is said to be a level of interest there, as well.
Wherever Oden chooses to sign, the decision isn’t likely to come until this weekend, at the earliest.
Center Greg Oden probably won’t decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers haven’t been made yet. He said the Heat has seen “all it needs to see” from a medical standpoint and that Oden won’t necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure.
It’s interesting that Oden has yet to receive any offers, but it’s all part of the negotiating process. Much like restricted free agency, no team wants to be the one to set the market for a given player, only to see that player get a better deal to play elsewhere.
A one-year deal for the minimum isn’t likely going to be enough to get a deal done with Oden, unless only one team steps up with a bona fide contract. And while he may be looking for a low-key environment to make his comeback, he’s still more likely than not to end up in the situation that offers him the most guaranteed dollars.
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 10
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24