Jul 31, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Greg Oden impressed the five teams that attended his private workout in Indianapolis last week, and more than one is said to be interested in taking a shot on the former number one overall draft pick whose career has been derailed to this point by a series of debilitating injuries.
Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Atlanta all got a look at Oden, and while representatives from Dallas didn’t attend the workout, there is said to be a level of interest there, as well.
Wherever Oden chooses to sign, the decision isn’t likely to come until this weekend, at the earliest.
Center Greg Oden probably won’t decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers haven’t been made yet. He said the Heat has seen “all it needs to see” from a medical standpoint and that Oden won’t necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure.
It’s interesting that Oden has yet to receive any offers, but it’s all part of the negotiating process. Much like restricted free agency, no team wants to be the one to set the market for a given player, only to see that player get a better deal to play elsewhere.
A one-year deal for the minimum isn’t likely going to be enough to get a deal done with Oden, unless only one team steps up with a bona fide contract. And while he may be looking for a low-key environment to make his comeback, he’s still more likely than not to end up in the situation that offers him the most guaranteed dollars.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18