Jul 31, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
What are you looking for in big men whose games translate to the international hoops style of play? They have to be athletic and able to run the floor (the USA plays an uptempo, pressure defense style), he needs to be able to defend multiple positions, grab rebounds, and he needs to score inside and space the floor with a good midrange game.
I’ve pretty much described LaMarcus Aldridge.
The Portland big man may not be a perfect fit, but he could be a valuable member of the team… if he wants in. The door is open but Aldridge better not be waiting for an invite, he has to be the one to reach out, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
“I am always interested in players who seek to compete,” (USA Basketball president Jerry) Colangelo told CSNNW.com Tuesday night. “My phone is always available. Unless one is hungry and passionate about USA Basketball, there is little chance.
“Certainly we won’t solicit.”
In mid-April, Aldridge informed CSNNW.com that he would participate if requested. It is unknown at this time if Aldridge will contact Colangelo.
Aldridge pulled out of a previous Team USA commitment due to a serious family health issue.
Aldridge should be in the pool of players USA Basketball is considering for the World Championships being played in Spain next summer. Kevin Durant and Kevin Love have said they are in, and Team USA just wrapped up a mini-camp of top young players who want to be in.
All Aldridge has to do is reach out (if he hasn’t done so already).
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10