Jul 31, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony can opt out of his contract next summer and he’s expected to do just that to lock down the security of a new longer deal — and he doesn’t really want to talk about it.
He’ll talk about how he likes the offseason moves his Knicks made — picking up Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace — and how he’s excited for next season. He was willing to do that with ESPN New York.
“We got [Metta World Peace], and I think [Andrea] Bargnani was really a steal for us. He’ll help us spread the floor. We got J.R. [Smith] back and we kept the core guys together….
It’s going to be an interesting year for the Knicks. I’m not big on Bargnani (and don’t think any Knicks fans that are will be by Christmas), but the addition of World Peace with a full season of Iman Shumpert should improve what was a pedestrian defense last season. Problem is, I don’t think that gets that past the Heat in the playoffs; the Pacers were better and get back an All-Star in Danny Granger plus they addressed their depth issues; the Bulls get Derrick Rose back; and the Nets got older but a whole lot tougher and better. The top of the East is going to be much tougher and we’ll see if the Knicks can hang.
But the bigger question with ‘Melo is next summer, when he could opt out of his contract and be a free agent. He’s not talking about that.
Will this season determine whether he remains in New York long-term?
“I can’t do that,” Anthony said. “It’s too tough right now.”
Don’t worry, it’s not like the New York media are the kinds of people who will bring this topic up daily. I’m sure they will pull back so he can make his decision in peace and in his own time frame.
(If you didn’t feel the sarcasm in those last sentences, read them again.)
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 8
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 23