Jul 31, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Brandon Jennings changed agents last summer because he wanted an eight-digit deal and a move to a major market.
Well, he got $8 million a year and a move t a larger market in Detroit, a team that had already added Josh Smith this summer and now with Jennings looks like a playoff team. One that’s going to frustrate fans and anyone who loves smart basketball with it’s shot selection, but a better team.
Jennings is happy with the move, he told Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun (Jennings was playing pickup ball with friend Amir Johnson of the Raptors at a big youth and summer event in Toronto).
Jennings declined to say much, saying he wants to “stay under the radar for now,” but did admit “I’m happy” about the trade.
Jennings will be the sole point guard (no sharing the rock with Monta Ellis) on a team that is stacked up front with talent — Smith, Andre Drummond (who could have a breakout season) and Greg Monroe. This is a lineup that should be strong defensively. The question is how many good shot Smith and Drummond get at the rim vs. how many questionable jumpers Smith and Jennings take. Defenses will pack the paint and dare the Pistons to beat them from the outside.
New coach Mo Cheeks will have to motivate the up and down Pistons, but this should be an interesting and better team next season. A playoff team. And that’s a first step.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15