Jul 31, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Brandon Jennings changed agents last summer because he wanted an eight-digit deal and a move to a major market.
Well, he got $8 million a year and a move t a larger market in Detroit, a team that had already added Josh Smith this summer and now with Jennings looks like a playoff team. One that’s going to frustrate fans and anyone who loves smart basketball with it’s shot selection, but a better team.
Jennings is happy with the move, he told Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun (Jennings was playing pickup ball with friend Amir Johnson of the Raptors at a big youth and summer event in Toronto).
Jennings declined to say much, saying he wants to “stay under the radar for now,” but did admit “I’m happy” about the trade.
Jennings will be the sole point guard (no sharing the rock with Monta Ellis) on a team that is stacked up front with talent — Smith, Andre Drummond (who could have a breakout season) and Greg Monroe. This is a lineup that should be strong defensively. The question is how many good shot Smith and Drummond get at the rim vs. how many questionable jumpers Smith and Jennings take. Defenses will pack the paint and dare the Pistons to beat them from the outside.
New coach Mo Cheeks will have to motivate the up and down Pistons, but this should be an interesting and better team next season. A playoff team. And that’s a first step.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 20
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 37
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 8
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 60
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2