Jul 30, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than your grandmother loves Criminal Minds reruns….
• Pau Gasol took a trip to Iraq on behalf of UNICEF to meet with some (and bring attention to the plight of) the 160,000 Syrian refugees in Iraq, just a fraction of the estimated 1.7 million people displaced by Syrian violence.
“I met children who have fled from a tragic situation in Syria and are now urgently dependent on humanitarian aid,” said Gasol in a released statement. “It is shocking to learn what these children, who have been affected by the conflict in Syria, have experienced. No child should have to endure such violence and destruction, or be deprived of the basic services they need to grow and develop to fulfill their potential.”
Good on Gasol for giving both his name and his time to this very worthy cause. If you wish, you can make a donation through UNICEF to help these refugees.
• Frank Vogel says he doesn’t expect any more changes to the Pacers roster this offseason. The Pacers had a great offseason, by the way.
• Bojan Bogdanovic told a European publication he intends to play for the Nets… eventually.
• ESPN baseball play-by-play broadcaster Dan Shulman is playing hoops for the Canadian team at the Maccabiah Games in Israel.
• After a strong offensive showing at Summer League, Andrew Goudelock inked a one-year deal for next season in the Russian league with BC UNICS Kazan.
• Along those same lines, Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson signed a deal with Besiktas of the Turkish League.
• Did Baron Davis lose a $50,000 bet to The Game on a Drew League Game?
• Philadelphia has hired Chris Heck as their Chief Revenue Officer. The coaching search continues.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 69
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31