Steve Nash likes that people are counting the Lakers out

Jul 30, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Steve Nash AP

Can the Lakers really fly under the radar?

Even though everyone rational realizes they will at best be in the mix for one of the bottom seeds in the West, that they are the third best team in their own division, they are still the Lakers with the huge fan base and big stage. People in the league and fans around it are enjoying watching them struggle and would like to pile on. They are still going to play the Heat on Christmas Day on national television. Can that team really be overlooked?

Steve Nash thinks they are under the radar and told Lang Whitaker of All Ball at NBA.com that he likes it that way.

I think everyone’s kind of counting us out, which is fine by me. I think it’s good for us to fly under the radar a little bit. We’ve got a lot of new pieces, we’ve got guys coming off injuries, myself included. So we’ve got to find out where everyone’s health is, and then figure out each other and play together, and hopefully we can surprise some people.

If the Lakers are going to make any kind of splash they are going to need to be healthy — Nash, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, all of them. Nash is spending Tuesday in a “tryout” (honorary, really) with Inter Milan, so he’s running around and kicking the ball.

Nash, are you healthy?

Good enough to embarrass myself on the soccer field. I’m not quite 100 percent, I can’t quite sprint, but I’ve been able to train around it, so I’ve made a lot of progress in other ways, and hopefully in the next three or four weeks I should be one hundred percent.

Whatever happens with the Lakers this season it’s going to be interesting. It’s going to be a story. It’s not going to be under the radar.

1. chiadam - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nash looks like Justin Bieber’s dad.

• stephenlin - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM

that comparison is unfair to nash, to canadians everywhere, and i might as well say it–to humanity.

• dezglobal - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

But…. he really does lol

• apkyletexas - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Canadians started it by giving us Bieber in the first place.

2. blakegriffin32 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

It doesn’t matter what team you are or how big your fan base–a poorly built team with aging stars, no young talent, and the wrong coach won’t go anywhere.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

-Says a Clippers fan! LOL

Y’all been good for only TWO years!!! OMG LOL! Stop it son, seriously!

• kb2408 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Aren’t Clips fans cute? Hey, Clips fans, act like you’ve won something before!! Oops, my bad, I forgot, you haven’t!!

• 00maltliquor - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I mean, c’mon…really!? Hey, I like the Clippers. Always have. I don’t hate on them at all, but jeez man, you gotta learn to pick your battles sometimes!

They’ve got a lot of making up to do to wipe away 40 years of stench before they can graduate from the kiddie table to come and eat with the big boys.

• spthegr8 - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

They did win the divison title last year and that was their BEST SEASON……..EVER!!!!! & They STILL got bounced in the first ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS!!!! LMAO!!! & Clipp fans have the nerve to talk sh*t. SMH!!! They have little brother syndrome. When you have nothing too brag about, ANYTHING will do!!!

• loungefly74 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM

hahaha! beat me to it, malt! that username had me rolling!

uh yeah, blakegriffin32…that “32” number? does that stand for the years of futility the Clippers have experienced? hahahahaha! oh, man. thanks. thanks for the laugh, kid.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:57 AM

And just why do Laker fans resort to putting down the Clippers and their fans? I mean when an organization like the Lakers, with the rich and storied history, to do so is to be the big bully, like a 10th grader beating up a kid in the first grade.

When you’ve had such success, why do you bow down and feel the need to put them down? To criticize their winning the division etc…?

I mean act like your champs and have class and have been to the top of the mountain and don’t pick on those less fortunate…

And as for this article? Are the Lakers being counted out? I hear from all the Laker fans that they play for championships, period. Who cares if they slip into the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed this year? They will not come out of the West with Oklahoma, the Spurs, the Clippers, the Grizzlies, the Warriors and the Rockets and they wouldn’t beat the Heat or the Pacers either.

So yes, the Lakers ARE being counted out as they can’t and won’t win the title next year. I mean that franchise doesn’t play for 7th and 8th seeds…

They know they are in transition and trying to get back to the top of the mountain. They are already counted out for this coming year as they will not hang a banner this year.

3. dopekidz83 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Who have they added so far this off-season?

• dirtydavis - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

yo mama

• llfreedman - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

SWAG, Jordan SWAGmar and Wesley SWAGson

• 00maltliquor - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Hey, don’t forget Swaggy P!

4. herkulease - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up wins against teams that on paper are clearly better. For instance those guys mail it in after the 1st half figuring they can just cruise to a victory but instead just put up bricks allowing the Lakers to pick up the win.

But with 82 games they won’t be able to sneak up on teams like you could the NFL. Get on a roll of any kind against decent teams and others will take notice and not be lazy.

5. 00maltliquor - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Wait, did he just say he’s not 100%, yet he’s trying out for a futbol club on that bum leg? *#@! $&!# %&*@#!

6. kb2408 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM

And one clown on here (forgot his name) even suggested that the LAKERS would challenge for the “worst” record in the league!! Even when Kobe was playing with the likes of Kwame, Smush, etc., the LAKERS made the playoffs most seasons. LAKER fans are some of the most knowledgeable fans in all of sorts. We realize that this team is not championship caliber. However, to expect them not to make the post-season is ludicrous. I predict at least a .500 record. Not exactly what we’re accustomed to but the sun will shine again in LAKERLAND. After all, it always does.

• mickdamill - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

You do realize the Lakers barely made the playoffs last year and their aging stars are looking beat up before the season even starts. Remain humble my friend the West is stacked, and I have a feeling your cockiness is going to leave you with a foot in your mouth, as a .500 record would not have made the post season in West last year. I continue to hear LA has the most educated fans from their followers but it appears to be just over confidence and the unwillingness to show respect to these smaller market teams who are becoming better by the day with young talent.

• loungefly74 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM

yeah, i read that too, kb. uhhh..okay. must be a magic fan.

7. antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

“Steve Nash is an expert at proving doubters wrong.”

-No one ever

8. lakerade - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I like that Nash always says the right things, and he is indeed right again in this case, but I also feel like I heard him say the same thing when the 7SOL Suns began going south. Either way, this year will be less of a strain on the team in terms of expectations. Well, at least til Kobe’s back.

9. chargerdillon - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Here’s the only goal for the Lakers next year. Show the world you can have a better record without Dwight Howard on the roster.

Quite frankly, I think they already became a better team without Dwight. Factor in all the close games Dwight took them out of by missing free throws.

There’s always going to be a bunch of garbage losses from Kobe putting up too many shots, but take away the big negatives that come with Dwight, and to me they look better already. Go ahead and foul Pau, see how that works for you.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM

As much as I love Pau and agree with your comment, Pau is kiiiinda a guaranteed 1 for 2 free throw shooter in the clutch though. He be pissin’ me off sometimes.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Each time I read one of your comments I think of that super fine Old English 800,

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches