Jul 30, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
When Jrue Holiday was traded, it felt like a trade countdown clock started over Evan Turner’s head — he was the logical next to go. Spencer Hawes and Thaddeus Young are on that list, too, but Turner has real value around the league.
Plus, Sixers GM Sam Hinkie has said he’s not done shaking up the roster. All the pieces fit together.
But there has been no deal yet and Hinkie talked about Turner as someone who would have a chance to step forward with the team, at least that’s what he told John Gonzalez of CSNPhilly.com.
“With change comes opportunity,” Hinkie told CSNPhilly.com this week. (Despite what some people might believe, Hinkie hasn’t gone to ground.) “Our team and our roster is very different than last year with a different composition of players, likely a different system, definitely different players on the floor. This could well be an opportunity where Evan thrives. I hope our standards will be a place where hard work and competitiveness are rewarded and valued. Evan has those in spades.”
Of course, if Turner starts the season with the Sixers and plays well, his trade value goes up, which is what the rebuilding Sixers want. Hinkie isn’t about to say in an interview he is shopping a player, he wants as much value for a trade as he can if he moves Turner..
Right now he wouldn’t get much.
Turner averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds a game, played more minutes and shot 36.5 percent from three last year. Yet he shot just 41.9 percent from the field, he turns the ball over more than you’d like, he’s not a great defender, and on the whole his game deteriorated as the season wore on. The fact is, he’s not a player that has really improved much over the course of three NBA seasons.
Look at this quote Gonzalez got to sum it all up.
“His trade value could go down,” one league insider admitted. “But that’s hard to imagine.”
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36