Jul 30, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:40 pm: DeJuan Blair himself has made it official.
This is a good pickup by Dallas. They got him at the NBA veteran’s minimum (that’s all they could really offer) and at that price Blair is a value. He can rebuound, score in the post and give Dallas 20 solid minutes a night off the bench. He’d been pushed out of the rotation in San Antonio, but he can still play and will show that this season.
11:10 am: Dallas needs a little more depth along the front line to start the season — Dirk Nowitzki is the star, and they also have Brandan Wright, Samuel Dalembert and Jae Crowder. Dallas has been in the mix to add Greg Oden but they are not considered favorites to land him.
So now it looks like they may steal a Spur to fill out that roster spot.
They are in negotiations with DeJuan Blair, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
While Blair is a restricted free agent it is not expected the Spurs will match an offer for him.
This would be a good pickup for Dallas — Blair fell out of the Spurs rotation last season but when he got on the floor he played fairly. Blair shot 52.4 percent and had a PER of 14.6, right at the league average last season.
The Wizards and Bulls were the other teams tied to Blair. He was looking for a multi-year deal but I’m not sure that’s what the Mavericks (who are trying to rebuild through free agency) are offering.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 6
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10