Jul 30, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:40 pm: DeJuan Blair himself has made it official.
This is a good pickup by Dallas. They got him at the NBA veteran’s minimum (that’s all they could really offer) and at that price Blair is a value. He can rebuound, score in the post and give Dallas 20 solid minutes a night off the bench. He’d been pushed out of the rotation in San Antonio, but he can still play and will show that this season.
11:10 am: Dallas needs a little more depth along the front line to start the season — Dirk Nowitzki is the star, and they also have Brandan Wright, Samuel Dalembert and Jae Crowder. Dallas has been in the mix to add Greg Oden but they are not considered favorites to land him.
So now it looks like they may steal a Spur to fill out that roster spot.
They are in negotiations with DeJuan Blair, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
While Blair is a restricted free agent it is not expected the Spurs will match an offer for him.
This would be a good pickup for Dallas — Blair fell out of the Spurs rotation last season but when he got on the floor he played fairly. Blair shot 52.4 percent and had a PER of 14.6, right at the league average last season.
The Wizards and Bulls were the other teams tied to Blair. He was looking for a multi-year deal but I’m not sure that’s what the Mavericks (who are trying to rebuild through free agency) are offering.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30