Jul 30, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Oscar B. “Ossie” Schectman — the man credited with scoring the first basket in the first ever NBA game (then called the BAA) — has passed away at the age of 94.
He played a little before my time (1946-47) but the NBA History twitter feed did a nice tribute to him, which we pass along part of.
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14