Israel coach: Mavericks are putting Gal Mekel in ‘impossible situation’

Jul 30, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT

Rick Carlisle, Donnie Nelson, Alon Mekel, Gal Mekel,

NBA free agency continues to cause international incidents.

Gal Mekel, the Israeli point guard who signed with the Mavericks earlier this month, will not be participating in EuroBasket this fall, and Israel coach Arik Shivek is not pleased.

Shivek, via Allon Sinai of The Jerusalem Post:

“Mekel told me that he was put in a room with General Manager Donnie Nelson and all the coaches and they told him that as a rookie he would have a better chance of playing more minutes at the start of the season if he takes part in the preliminary training camp as well as the final camp,” Shivek said.

“I was very surprised and so was Gal. Mekel then put Donnie Nelson on the phone, who I know from his time in Europe, and I told him what I thought of what they are doing to Gal. I think they are not being fair and are putting him in an impossible situation.”

This should have been cleared up before Mekel signed. He has every right to play for Israel, and he has every right to play for the Mavericks. He just might not have the right to do both at once.

The timing of EuroBasket isn’t catching anyone by surprise, and both Mekel and the Mavericks should have created a plan before he signed. If he didn’t like their terms, he didn’t have to sign. And they didn’t like his terms, they didn’t have to sign him.

And maybe that actually happened.

Sinai:

Despite Shivek’s claims, Mekel took full responsibility for his decision not to play for Israel this summer.

“I understood that in order to have a good rookie season I need to get to Dallas early and work according to the team’s program,” Mekel said. “I really love the national team, but I came to the conclusion that if I want to remain an NBA player for many years, then my rookie season is very important.

I don’t know whether Shivek has the full story, but of course he’d want Mekel on his team. It’s possible, regardless of what Mekel told Shivek, Mekel just prefers to join the Mavericks sooner, anyway.

Mekel, depending how Dallas fills out its roster, has a real shot become the backup point guard behind Jose Calderon. Shane Larkin is in the mix, and Monta Ellis could slide over from shooting guard to steal minutes at the one.

As an unproven rookie, every bit of training camp will help Mekel’s case.

1. fordman84 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

He does have every right to play for both teams. Doesn’t sound to me like Dallas said “you can’t play for Israel”. Instead they told him the truth…the more time you spend with Dallas the better your chances of getting minutes this season. That is perfectly reasonable, players are told that all the time. Not sure why this comes as a surprise.

• dezglobal - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Agreed

• arrondior - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Exactly, and the national team can wait a year or two for him to establish himself in the league.

2. abchome - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The more you prepare for your team, the better chance your team play you more. Isn’t it reasonable and expected?

3. fmdragons59 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Stop signing these damn Euro’s and this won’t be a problem. They either want to play in the US or in their home countries. I hate seeing this in the Olympics as well. If you’re US citizen them you play for he US or don’t play! I think most of these teams are idiots anyway. How many of those players are actually stars in the NBA? I bet you I can take a group of players from the Recs and beat these guys.

• tombena - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Yup. I’m sure you and you’re “guys” can easily beat a team of: rubio, parker, nowitzki, ibaka and gasol.. piece of cake right ? The disrespect toward European basketball is amazing to me..

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches