Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Yesterday we told you how long-time Cavalier (and current NBA free agent) Daniel Gibson turned himself in to New Orleans police to face a battery charges in relation to allegedly breaking a man’s jaw in a late night fight.
Now comes Gibson’s side of the story — he says he was defending his wife from a man who insulted her.
Daniel “Boobie” Gibson tells TMZ … he was just defending his wife’s honor when he got into an altercation with a man at the Essence Music Festival earlier this month … after the guy disrespected Keyshia Cole in a “profane way….”
Boobie says Keyshia was performing at the event … when some guy approached her and spouted off some very “disrespectful” comments toward the singer.
Boobie says an altercation broke out and “safety was threatened” … so Boobie says he “needed to take action.”
TMZ seemed to be going for the record of most times the word “Boobie” was used in one story.
As for the crime itself, there remains a whole lot we don’t know. Altercations that take place after 5 a.m. in New Orleans can be messy, with both participants and witnesses whose memories are… cloudy. We’ll just say cloudy and a little distorted. Sorting out late night fights like this is a very challenging situation for police (I was a crime reporter back in the day, trust me).
We’ll see how this plays out while Gibson tries to land a contract for next season.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14