Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
Yesterday we told you how long-time Cavalier (and current NBA free agent) Daniel Gibson turned himself in to New Orleans police to face a battery charges in relation to allegedly breaking a man’s jaw in a late night fight.
Now comes Gibson’s side of the story — he says he was defending his wife from a man who insulted her.
Daniel “Boobie” Gibson tells TMZ … he was just defending his wife’s honor when he got into an altercation with a man at the Essence Music Festival earlier this month … after the guy disrespected Keyshia Cole in a “profane way….”
Boobie says Keyshia was performing at the event … when some guy approached her and spouted off some very “disrespectful” comments toward the singer.
Boobie says an altercation broke out and “safety was threatened” … so Boobie says he “needed to take action.”
TMZ seemed to be going for the record of most times the word “Boobie” was used in one story.
As for the crime itself, there remains a whole lot we don’t know. Altercations that take place after 5 a.m. in New Orleans can be messy, with both participants and witnesses whose memories are… cloudy. We’ll just say cloudy and a little distorted. Sorting out late night fights like this is a very challenging situation for police (I was a crime reporter back in the day, trust me).
We’ll see how this plays out while Gibson tries to land a contract for next season.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7