Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Yesterday we told you how long-time Cavalier (and current NBA free agent) Daniel Gibson turned himself in to New Orleans police to face a battery charges in relation to allegedly breaking a man’s jaw in a late night fight.
Now comes Gibson’s side of the story — he says he was defending his wife from a man who insulted her.
Daniel “Boobie” Gibson tells TMZ … he was just defending his wife’s honor when he got into an altercation with a man at the Essence Music Festival earlier this month … after the guy disrespected Keyshia Cole in a “profane way….”
Boobie says Keyshia was performing at the event … when some guy approached her and spouted off some very “disrespectful” comments toward the singer.
Boobie says an altercation broke out and “safety was threatened” … so Boobie says he “needed to take action.”
TMZ seemed to be going for the record of most times the word “Boobie” was used in one story.
As for the crime itself, there remains a whole lot we don’t know. Altercations that take place after 5 a.m. in New Orleans can be messy, with both participants and witnesses whose memories are… cloudy. We’ll just say cloudy and a little distorted. Sorting out late night fights like this is a very challenging situation for police (I was a crime reporter back in the day, trust me).
We’ll see how this plays out while Gibson tries to land a contract for next season.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 4
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20