Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
Yesterday we told you how long-time Cavalier (and current NBA free agent) Daniel Gibson turned himself in to New Orleans police to face a battery charges in relation to allegedly breaking a man’s jaw in a late night fight.
Now comes Gibson’s side of the story — he says he was defending his wife from a man who insulted her.
Daniel “Boobie” Gibson tells TMZ … he was just defending his wife’s honor when he got into an altercation with a man at the Essence Music Festival earlier this month … after the guy disrespected Keyshia Cole in a “profane way….”
Boobie says Keyshia was performing at the event … when some guy approached her and spouted off some very “disrespectful” comments toward the singer.
Boobie says an altercation broke out and “safety was threatened” … so Boobie says he “needed to take action.”
TMZ seemed to be going for the record of most times the word “Boobie” was used in one story.
As for the crime itself, there remains a whole lot we don’t know. Altercations that take place after 5 a.m. in New Orleans can be messy, with both participants and witnesses whose memories are… cloudy. We’ll just say cloudy and a little distorted. Sorting out late night fights like this is a very challenging situation for police (I was a crime reporter back in the day, trust me).
We’ll see how this plays out while Gibson tries to land a contract for next season.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 0
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 17
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 19
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 27
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10