Tim Hardaway regrets anti-gay comments, but believes dialogue that resulted was a positive

Jul 29, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT

Knicks Hardaway Basketball AP

Tim Hardaway played 14 NBA seasons, most notably as a part of the Run TMC Golden State Warriors. But he was also a key component of the Miami Heat teams that challenged in the Eastern Conference in the late 90s.

He found himself in the spotlight once his career was through for making some horribly ignorant anti-gay remarks back in 2007, but has since learned why what he said was wrong, and has been working towards educating others on the topic ever since.

Hardaway now regrets ever making those comments. But he does believe that the dialogue that resulted was ultimately positive in helping those similarly dense gain a new perspective on things.

From Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida:

Over the past several years, Hardaway has provided support at several gay events. When Jason Collins earlier this year became the first active NBA player to reveal he is gay, Hardaway called Collins the day the news broke to offer his support. Hardaway earlier this month was the first signer of a petition seeking the legalization of gay marriage in Florida.

As much Hardaway regrets the comments, he said they at least resulted in dialogue he believes ultimately advanced society.

“What I said and how I said it, it was bad,” Hardaway said. “But I think it opened up a lot of eyes and made people really, really understand that these are people and that we shouldn’t bash them or throw rocks at them or anything like that. I think that opened up a lot of eyes, opened up a lot of dialogue to which people didn’t even want to touch (before). Now, I think they will touch it. I’m not saying that it’s a good thing (the comments were made), but, if I didn’t say that, I think we still would be further back.”

That’s debatable, obviously. But what’s important is how Hardaway was able to completely change his views on the subject after coming from such a dark place on it initially.

Nowadays, Hardaway is employed by the Miami Heat as a team scout. And when he’s not talking up the potential of Greg Oden and his ability to lead the Heat to a third straight title, he’s trying to work his way up in the organization, while setting his sights on obtaining a general manager position at some point in the future.

1. nbamixer0 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

New Dwyane wade mix i made follow me on twitter @B___Easy {3 underscores} Making a lebron mix next

2. bigtrav425 - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

He said nothing wrong…end of story…just the media and overly PC ppl of the world have to keep it going because they don’t agree with one mans opinion

• mustangs2 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM

“Well, you know I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don’t like gay people and I don’t like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.” He also said that if he found out he had one or more gay teammates, he would “try to get them fired.”

And how is there nothing wrong with this..?

3. timb12 - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Even though I don’t agree with what he said or the tone that was conveyed, I do have to say that some people get the short end of the stick on this “acceptance” thing. If we encourage acceptance of everyone then why was there no acceptance of Tim Hardaway and his beliefs? I know he said it the wrong way, but even if he said he doesn’t agree with homosexuality or he doesn’t think it’s right, people wouldn’t have accepted his opinion on it. I think it’s a little bit of a double standard.

• Kurt Helin - Jul 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

If your belief is hatred of another group of human beings — and that is exactly what Hardaway said — should society really accept that? It certainly isn’t the Christian thing to say, if one believes that. But if I came out and said “I hate Catholics” (how I was raised so I’ll use that) would that be acceptable? Should it be? I say no. We should fight all hatred.

• jimsjam33 - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Mr. Helin ,

Here we are again on a morality issue . First of all , I do not hate same sex attraction people . I believe their attraction is a sin , but just like other sins , adultery , fornication , lying , cheating , stealing , murder , and the like . I welcome them to accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior and repent of their sins .
        It’s simple isn’t it . ? Why does your staff persist on being the vanguards of issues pertaining to morality ? I dislike the progressive liberal thought process because it directly confronts Christianity . As for me , I will go with the Bible .

• runthepicketfence - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I hate pedophiles – is that acceptable?

4. jimsjam33 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:34 AM

What were the ” horribly ignorant anti-gay remarks back in 2007 . ” ? Who taught him what he said was wrong ? How did he become an expert on the subject so that he could educate others ?

” But what’s important is how Hardaway was able to completely change his views on the subject after coming from such a dark place initially . ”

Is this your opinion Mr. Pollakoff ? Can you explain why you wrote this editorial statement ? Was it based on your life’s experience or are you just another lemming being progressive and basking on your platform of liberalism ? Once again a reporter from this forum has decided to lecture readers on their moral beliefs ? Based upon what authority ?

5. yousuxxors - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM

bigtrav425 … hating people based off of something that is out of that persons control such as sexual orientation or color is wrong whether its someones opinion or not. if you leave other peoples rights up to another group then this country would never advance. sick of people hiding behind god for their hatred. Jesus loved all and would be a socialist.

6. daubs17 - Jul 30, 2013 at 3:42 AM

why were his comments horribly ignorant? because you didnt agree with his opinion? ok sure thing

• runthepicketfence - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Great comment. If you believe that legislation doesn’t make immoral conduct moral then apparently you are “horribly ignorant.”

• asimonetti88 - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Do you even know what his comments were? He said that he hates gay people, that gay people should not exist in the United States or the world. He said nothing about legislation. Maybe before you speak about other people being ignorant you should look into what you’re speaking about.

• changsteinelgamal - Jul 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Legislation changes legality, not morality.

Legal and illegal have nothing to do with right and wrong.

7. seanb20124 - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:12 AM

So his position has evolve, and he is welcomed back into mainstream America

• dezglobal - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Hardaway is anything but mainstream lol

8. dezglobal - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

What did he say?

9. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM

What a piece of sh**. Heck, by that logic slavery was okay because African-Americans are better off in America than Africa. Tim, I’ll be waiting for the ‘Thank You’ card for my ancestors enslaving yours.

10. redbearwoodall - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Can’t anyone respectfully disagree with the mainstream opinion on a topic anymore? No, if they have a different opinion, they’re “evil” and their opinion means nothing. Makes me sick.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If you disagree with the mainstream opinion that gay people should be allowed to exist, then yes, you are a POS.

• miamatt - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

“I hate gay people… I don’t like to be around gay people… It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.”

Is that REALLY what you mean by a person “respectfully disagree(ing) with the mainstream opinion”? To say that he hates a group of people and they shouldn’t exist? If that is respectful I’d hate to see disrespectful.

Of course everybody in the USA has a right to believe whatever they want and to express that view, but all the 1st amendment means is that you won’t go to jail for it. It doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences based on what others think of your “respectful disagreement”.

• andyhr17 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No, it doesn’t make him evil, it makes him a bigot.

To quote Hardway “”You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known,”

bigot (ˈbɪɡət)

— n
      a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

11. iamhoraceknight - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Did he say something that was disparaging and dis-respectful or did he say that he didn’t agree with individuals being gay? There is a huge difference between the two.

If we’re condemning those for not agreeing with a particular stance, there where exactly is the “Progress?”

12. vi3tguy415 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I THINK HE SAID HE DOESN’T BELIEVE IN GUY TO GUY THING. ALL THESE PEOPLE JUST TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY AND BASHED HIM. WELL, I’M ASIAN. WHITE GIRLS DONT LIKE DATING US. DOES THAT MAKE THEM WRONG? I DONT THINK SO. SO STFU. JUST CAUSE YOU DONT AGREE WITH HIM DOESNT MAKE HIM A BAD GUY.

• andyhr17 - Jul 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I think your caps lock key is stuck.

And just because you can’t get a date doesn’t mean white girls don’t like Asians. I’m pretty sure you just made up a stereotype.

• vi3tguy415 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

THEY JUST DONT YOU IDIOT. GO ASK AROUND. 8/10.

13. bonezone12345 - Jul 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

He said: “You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known,” “I don’t like gay people and I don’t like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.”

Which is not cool

14. flyingvien - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

OK, I’LL GO ASK AROUND

in caps

15. cornbreadbbqred - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Tim Hardaway is still a certified knucklehead in thin disguise. Who did he pay to write that that slick revision? Damn, did I read that right. Now he is an example and trend setter?

Ru Paul

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches