Jul 29, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Plenty of teams got better this offseason, either via trade or by the signing of promising free agent acquisitions.
The Oklahoma City Thunder was not one of them.
While Western Conference clubs like the Clippers and Rockets made multiple moves to fortify the roster for a run deep into the postseason, the Thunder did nothing of the kind, and actually let their one decent offensive threat off the bench in Kevin Martin get away in free agency.
Not that Martin was good, or that the Thunder should have shelled out the dollars that the Timberwolves did to retain him. But he was the one guy who could randomly get you 20 points in a reserve role, and now there doesn’t appear to be anyone on the team that can fill that void.
It won’t be veteran forward Ryan Gomes, who OKC just added to the team on a one-year deal according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
Gomes played overseas last year, and before that played seven NBA seasons with the Celtics, Timberwolves, and Clippers. The last time he played meaningful minutes was with L.A. during the 2010-11 season, when Gomes averaged 7.2 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists in 27.6 minutes per game.
Filling out the roster with a veteran for a likely league minimum deal is fine. But the Thunder haven’t gotten better while many other teams have, and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook can only take the team so far essentially all by themselves.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13