Jul 29, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Plenty of teams got better this offseason, either via trade or by the signing of promising free agent acquisitions.
The Oklahoma City Thunder was not one of them.
While Western Conference clubs like the Clippers and Rockets made multiple moves to fortify the roster for a run deep into the postseason, the Thunder did nothing of the kind, and actually let their one decent offensive threat off the bench in Kevin Martin get away in free agency.
Not that Martin was good, or that the Thunder should have shelled out the dollars that the Timberwolves did to retain him. But he was the one guy who could randomly get you 20 points in a reserve role, and now there doesn’t appear to be anyone on the team that can fill that void.
It won’t be veteran forward Ryan Gomes, who OKC just added to the team on a one-year deal according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
Gomes played overseas last year, and before that played seven NBA seasons with the Celtics, Timberwolves, and Clippers. The last time he played meaningful minutes was with L.A. during the 2010-11 season, when Gomes averaged 7.2 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists in 27.6 minutes per game.
Filling out the roster with a veteran for a likely league minimum deal is fine. But the Thunder haven’t gotten better while many other teams have, and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook can only take the team so far essentially all by themselves.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16