Jul 29, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Josh Childress certainly isn’t as highly regarded as he was when he decided to leave an offer on the table from the Atlanta Hawks and instead go overseas in the summer of 2008. That doesn’t mean the swingman isn’t still coveted by NBA teams, though, because he’s apparently narrowed his options down to three teams he’s considering playing for next season.
Childress scored a total of 14 points in 14 appearances for the Brooklyn Nets last season, but Shams Charania of Real GM reports that the 6-foot-8 wing will play for either the Philadelphia 76ers, Sacramento Kings or an unknown mystery team for the league minimum next season. So don’t worry, fans of teams other than the Kings or Sixers — your team may still be in the running to sign the former Stanford star.
Childress apparently turned down a “lucrative” offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiacos to stay in the NBA this season, but one has to think he might’ve been better off heading into the sunset and making good money in Europe for the duration of his career. After all, a player that has gone just 1-for-3 from the free-throw line over the past two seasons (in 591 minutes, no less) surely isn’t using the athleticism he was once known for … and his 5-for-27 stat line from beyond the arc suggests that he isn’t getting it done while avoiding contact outside of the lane, either.
Regardless of the big-money overseas offers, injury issues and waning overall play in the NBA, though, interest from NBA teams is obviously still there for Childress. Let’s hope Childress makes the most of it, then, and is able to return to his Sixth Man Extraordinaire status of yesteryear.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32