Jul 29, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Josh Childress certainly isn’t as highly regarded as he was when he decided to leave an offer on the table from the Atlanta Hawks and instead go overseas in the summer of 2008. That doesn’t mean the swingman isn’t still coveted by NBA teams, though, because he’s apparently narrowed his options down to three teams he’s considering playing for next season.
Childress scored a total of 14 points in 14 appearances for the Brooklyn Nets last season, but Shams Charania of Real GM reports that the 6-foot-8 wing will play for either the Philadelphia 76ers, Sacramento Kings or an unknown mystery team for the league minimum next season. So don’t worry, fans of teams other than the Kings or Sixers — your team may still be in the running to sign the former Stanford star.
Childress apparently turned down a “lucrative” offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiacos to stay in the NBA this season, but one has to think he might’ve been better off heading into the sunset and making good money in Europe for the duration of his career. After all, a player that has gone just 1-for-3 from the free-throw line over the past two seasons (in 591 minutes, no less) surely isn’t using the athleticism he was once known for … and his 5-for-27 stat line from beyond the arc suggests that he isn’t getting it done while avoiding contact outside of the lane, either.
Regardless of the big-money overseas offers, injury issues and waning overall play in the NBA, though, interest from NBA teams is obviously still there for Childress. Let’s hope Childress makes the most of it, then, and is able to return to his Sixth Man Extraordinaire status of yesteryear.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28