Jul 29, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
It’s only July, but apparently it isn’t too early to make proclamations as to who might win next year’s NBA championship a little more than 11 months from now.
Greg Oden was reported to be impressive in his recent workout in front of personnel representing five NBA teams, so much so that an employee of one of the clubs represented is ready to begin getting sized for a ring should his team be the one that ends up landing Oden’s services.
The Heat remain committed to going after free-agent center Greg Oden, who is expected to make a decision soon. Miami coach Erik Spoelstra and vice president of player personnel Chet Kammerer observed Oden in a workout last week in his hometown of Indianapolis.
“If we get Greg Oden, I think we will win a third (straight) title,” Heat scout Tim Hardaway said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida on Saturday.
One would think that this is precisely the type of pressure situation that Oden wishes to avoid in his NBA return, which appears more and more likely to take place next season.
The reality is that no one knows what Oden will be able to give to a franchise, and that’s especially true when considering his contributions for a team in the playoffs a good nine months from now.
All we know at this moment is that Oden appears to be healthy and in relatively good shape. And until we see him face off against other NBA players in games that actually matter, all judgments need to be reserved, and should probably be kept completely silent.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17