Jul 29, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
It’s only July, but apparently it isn’t too early to make proclamations as to who might win next year’s NBA championship a little more than 11 months from now.
Greg Oden was reported to be impressive in his recent workout in front of personnel representing five NBA teams, so much so that an employee of one of the clubs represented is ready to begin getting sized for a ring should his team be the one that ends up landing Oden’s services.
The Heat remain committed to going after free-agent center Greg Oden, who is expected to make a decision soon. Miami coach Erik Spoelstra and vice president of player personnel Chet Kammerer observed Oden in a workout last week in his hometown of Indianapolis.
“If we get Greg Oden, I think we will win a third (straight) title,” Heat scout Tim Hardaway said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida on Saturday.
One would think that this is precisely the type of pressure situation that Oden wishes to avoid in his NBA return, which appears more and more likely to take place next season.
The reality is that no one knows what Oden will be able to give to a franchise, and that’s especially true when considering his contributions for a team in the playoffs a good nine months from now.
All we know at this moment is that Oden appears to be healthy and in relatively good shape. And until we see him face off against other NBA players in games that actually matter, all judgments need to be reserved, and should probably be kept completely silent.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48