Grant Hill in negotiations to do broadcasting next season

Jul 29, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT

Grant Hill AP

Grant Hill would make a good broadcaster.

Watch him on the set of TNT’s “Inside the NBA” when he announces his retirement — he is a natural. Good insight and he’s able to communicate it clearly (the second part is often the tricky part for players trying to adapt to the broadcast world).

So it’s no shock that networks are coming after him and he is in negotiations to be a broadcaster, something he told the IMG Academy Web site (via the Orlando Sentinel)… oh, and he’s also going to continue to make a lot of money doing other stuff. Which is nice for him.

But I’m very excited about the next phase and some broadcasting things I’m looking at some things that we’re working on right now with some of the major networks, so that is something that can keep you in and around the game and around sports. I have a family office in Orlando, and we do a number of things – multi-family apartments, commercial real estate and we’ve been doing that for a while. Then I’m a partner in a fund; we have a mezzanine fund that invests in small businesses and raised a good amount of money. So there’s some things in the business world, some things in sports. I look forward to being more active in the political process, fundraisers and things like that.

No word on whom Hill would be working with or in what capacity (ABC is reworking it’s pregame show, but there are a multitude of opportunities).

Personally, wherever it is I will be happy to see Hill on my television screen.

1. arrondior - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I hope TNT picks him up. He’s good enough to carry a game and could sometimes sit in with Ernie, Kenny, Charles, and Shaq.

• adoombray - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

they should REPLACE shaq with hill.

Shaq is terrible on television

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Amen. Give me awkward Shane Battier over Shaq.

• arrondior - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Haha I agree. If I had to replace Shaq with someone, it would be with Chris Webber. Even with Shaq, Inside the NBA is the best NBA hoops show on TV.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I would kill for Webby to be part of that team.

• longtallsam - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

What’s so great about Webber? Well, I guess he is better than Shaq. I bet Hill would be better than either of those two, his first night out!

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I just know Webber runs circles around Shaq and am seriously intrigued by Hill’s potential.

2. BigBeachBall - Jul 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Now it’s starting to make sense….aside from Kenny, If you want to roll on TNT with chuck, have to have Phoenix on the résumé… Nash is next….

3. dacapt704 - Jul 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM

He went to DUKE…a top notch institution for academics as well as mens bball!! Coach K is the GOAT!

4. dezglobal - Jul 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM

This will be such a natural transition for him… Great fan favorite/likable guy.

5. atlbrave5 - Jul 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM

We need more overall athletes like G. Hill. Great pro and he will be an even better pro at whatever he does in his retirement! Thank you Grant!

6. mickdamill - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I agree, one of the few and true class acts in the NBA.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches