Jul 29, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
Daniel Gibson — you call him “Boobie,” a guard with the Cavaliers the past seven years who is currently a free agent — turned himself in Monday to police in New Orleans in relation to a second degree battery charge.
Daniel Gibson, 27, surrendered himself at the New Orleans Police Department’s 8th District headquarters in the French Quarter. He was processed at Orleans Parish Prison a short time later and posted bond for his release before noon.
Details on the incident that led to the charge were not immediately available, but state law defines second degree battery as an assault in which the offender “intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury” on another person. Sources told WDSU the incident took place during this year’s Essence Festival, held earlier this month.
Gibson is accused of punching a man around 5:15 a.m. on July 8 and subsequently breaking the man’s lower jaw bone. Gibson was in New Orleans for the Essence Festival over July 4 weekend where his wife, singer Keyshia Cole, performed a couple of nights earlier.
There is a whole lot we don’t know about this alleged incident. I’d like to think that will tone down the speculation in the comments, but I’m not optimistic.
While most casual fans remember the Gibson as the rookie sharpshooter on the 2007 Cavaliers team that made it to the NBA Finals. However, in part due to a series of nagging injuries, Gibson has been a shell of his former self. He shot just 34 percent overall last season and 34.4 percent from three, averaging 5.4 points a game in the 46 games he got in. He had a PER of 7.7. There has not been a ton of free agent interest.
He’s just 27 and if healthy probably could help a team, but this incident (whatever it is) does not help his cause with GMs around the league.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2