Jul 29, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Daniel Gibson — you call him “Boobie,” a guard with the Cavaliers the past seven years who is currently a free agent — turned himself in Monday to police in New Orleans in relation to a second degree battery charge.
Daniel Gibson, 27, surrendered himself at the New Orleans Police Department’s 8th District headquarters in the French Quarter. He was processed at Orleans Parish Prison a short time later and posted bond for his release before noon.
Details on the incident that led to the charge were not immediately available, but state law defines second degree battery as an assault in which the offender “intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury” on another person. Sources told WDSU the incident took place during this year’s Essence Festival, held earlier this month.
Gibson is accused of punching a man around 5:15 a.m. on July 8 and subsequently breaking the man’s lower jaw bone. Gibson was in New Orleans for the Essence Festival over July 4 weekend where his wife, singer Keyshia Cole, performed a couple of nights earlier.
There is a whole lot we don’t know about this alleged incident. I’d like to think that will tone down the speculation in the comments, but I’m not optimistic.
While most casual fans remember the Gibson as the rookie sharpshooter on the 2007 Cavaliers team that made it to the NBA Finals. However, in part due to a series of nagging injuries, Gibson has been a shell of his former self. He shot just 34 percent overall last season and 34.4 percent from three, averaging 5.4 points a game in the 46 games he got in. He had a PER of 7.7. There has not been a ton of free agent interest.
He’s just 27 and if healthy probably could help a team, but this incident (whatever it is) does not help his cause with GMs around the league.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2