Jul 29, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Certain guys you see going through the NBA and you think, “that guy could move into the front office seamlessly. Chauncey Billups is a guy right now that fits that mold and he could get a shot with the Pistons.
He wants it to happen and has taken steps that way, according to an interesting note from Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld.
Sources close to Maggette say that he briefly considered retiring this summer so that he could attempt to land a job within an NBA front office. He recently took part in the NBPA’s Leadership Development Program, which essentially grooms current players to become executives. However, it’s looking like he’ll play one more season and then attempt to join a front office next offseason.
First off, he wants a one-year minimum deal with a contender. If healthy (he only played 50 games the last two seasons combined) he could give a team some volume scoring and trips to the free throw line. Plus he’d bring some huge biceps to the locker room. He’d be an end of the bench guy, but that might happen even though to this point there has been no real whispers about a landing spot for him.
As for the front office… he should get a chance. People should have a chance to prove themselves in life. He’ll have to work his way up but his 14-year NBA career and the fact he went through the NBA’s training program should get his foot in the door.
And that’s the kind of chance a lot of guys would kill for. Hopefully he makes the most of it.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38