Celtics’ rookie Kelly Olynyk battling plantar fasciitis

Jul 29, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT

Kelly Olynyk AP

Well, this is not ideal.

Boston draft pick out of Gonzaga Kelly Olynyk looked good in the Orlando Summer League, like the Celtics may have a piece that can be part of their future as they rebuild.

But then comes the note (via Eric Smith of Toronto and CelticsBlog) that Olynyk is not playing with the Canadian national team this summer to rest his plantar fasciitis.

A lot of basketball players suffer from plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the connective tissue that runs a long the bottom of the foot. It’s an overuse injury (which can be exacerbated by other factors such as shoe fit).

The only way to recover is really rest (there are other things that help, but you need rest). This is something that depending on the severity could be fine and not bother him during the regular season. But it’s something to watch.

1. 00maltliquor - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM

When did Tim Lincecum start playing basketball?

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM

He’s also recovering from all the licks the Seniors at Robert E. Lee High gave him after the baseball game. Especially that jerk O’Bannon, fails 12th grade so he gets to do it again? Can’t believe his sister told those guys to “take it easy on him”.

3. jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

The Celtics need EVERYTHING to go their way this season. Not a good start.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM

And what exactly would happen if the Celtics had EVERYTHING go their way? 8th seed at best?

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Maybe even a 7. Would be more fun than watching a team tank for no guarantee of getting the number one pick.

Call me crazy for wanting my team to win, and let the chips fall where they may.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Also, as a Hornets fan, you should know tanking is not a cure-all.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

That’s not crazy AT ALL!! I HATE when people talk about taking to get better! That’s a losers mentality. Exactly, play hard and try to win every game and let the chips fall where they may! You know what, you’re alright jc, for a Celtics fan. I know we’re in the minority for this mindframe, sadly.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

*tanking

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Haha thanks man. You’re alright yourself, a Lakers fan if I recall correctly. I know we don’t always see eye to eye but you and Pundit I got respect for.

In any event, it is a losers mentality and I am going to watch 82 games regardless and go to several but I want to watch them thinking my team is playing 100%.

Plus, whether Stern works his voodoo magic or not, those ping pong balls don’t like to play ball. Since 1985 the team with the worst record has received the first draft pick ONCE!

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Sorry 3 times. Haha, gotta get my stuff straight before using caps locks. Not yelling at you, just making a point in general.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You’re right. The Bobcats/Hornets have made any ground by being terrible each season and I’m pretty excited about this season with Al Jefferson and perhaps a good rookie in Cody Zeller. Hopefully the Celtics can turn those future Nets draft picks into something good.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

In all fairness, MJ will not be a double HOF entrant as a player and GM but the Bobnets saw what happens when you tank and the balls don’t fall your way.

Right now they have a solid core and look to make moves but let’s just say I don’t want the Celts to follow that model. Don’t mean to be inflammatory at all but you know your stuff so I’m not tearing the wool from your eyes.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Or Horncats. What do you like better?

4. abchome - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

The first time his photo caught my sight, I thought it was yet another story about the ex-girl friend of Jason Collins.

5. paleihe - Jul 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I have to deal with plantar fasciitis, so I know how intense the pain can be at times. Before I found out I had PF, after I finished a 10K run there was this pain in my left foot that was debilitating. It felt like my left foot was broken. I couldn’t put any weight on it, could barely walk, so I just had to sit down for a good 10 minutes before limping my ass back to my hotel.

Not really much you can do for it other than rest. So, rest up Kelly, you’re gonna need it.

6. danfrommv - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

PF is a debilitating issue that usually affects athletes with 10+ years (Pau Gasol, Albert Pulhols). Not a good sign in a rookie.

And I bet Danny Ainge doesn’t even want “everything to go right” and end up with an 8 seed

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures